Recommend safety schools

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Recommend safety schools

by almousan » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:35 am
Hi.

Can anyone recommend schools in the Boston or California as safety schools with an application of the following background:

International student from Kuwait
GPA: 3.6/4.00
Undergrad: Michigan St. Uni - Finance

Work exp: 2 years by Fall 2010.
(Inconsistent though, 2 month post-grad internship, 9 month training program, Currently 2 month in financial services)

GMAT: mid 500s.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Paxton Helms - Kaplan » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:10 pm
Hard to say without more information (like, for instance, your GMAT!). But...some very good but not top-tier schools in those states include:

- University of Southern California

- Babson
- University of Boston (very practical skills oriented)

Of those three, for an international student, I think the University of Boston would be especially interesting. USC is a fine program but is more Pacific Rim oriented; you probably want something on the East Coast.
Keep me in the loop about your thinking and let me know if you have any more questions.

Paxton

Paxton Helms is an MBA admissions consultant for Kaplan Admissions Consulting. He earned his MBA from UCLA and specializes in helping clients that are applying to top twenty and "reach" programs. He can be reached directly at [email protected].

To begin working with Paxton immediately, follow this link and request him specifically: https://www.kaptest.com/GMAT/Admissions- ... lting.html

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by almousan » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:38 pm
Thanks for your reply!!

My GMAT score is 560... I was actually looking at all the schools you mentioned above.

Why do you say that Boston University would be "interesting" and would do you mean by "interesting"?

Thanks again!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Paxton Helms - Kaplan » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:28 pm
BU's empahsis on experiential learning will get you out into the business community. That way, you'll get to meet with and interact with more US business people than you would be able to do otherwise. For an international student, getting real-world experience with US companies would be far more valuable interesting (to me, at least) than spending more time in the classroom.

After all, you learn marketing and finance anywhere in the world --use being in the US to get more exposure to the US.
Keep me in the loop about your thinking and let me know if you have any more questions.

Paxton

Paxton Helms is an MBA admissions consultant for Kaplan Admissions Consulting. He earned his MBA from UCLA and specializes in helping clients that are applying to top twenty and "reach" programs. He can be reached directly at [email protected].

To begin working with Paxton immediately, follow this link and request him specifically: https://www.kaptest.com/GMAT/Admissions- ... lting.html