Recomendation Letter

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Recomendation Letter

by hunambiar » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:49 pm
Hi All,

Please can any one post me the format of Recomendation Letter. Also please can you advice if it is ok if i only provide the recomendation letter from my employer, as its been very long(abt 10 years) that i have left my college, and i am not sure if any of my professors would remember me.

Best Regards
Harish.Nambiar
[email protected]

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:12 pm
Harish,
I would encourage you to get LORs from current/previous employers, esp if you are several years out of school.

For a sample of a school's LOR, check out the application, you should be able to find what you are looking for.

For example, here is NYU's LOR form for 2007-2008 application year.
https://w4.stern.nyu.edu/emplibrary/Reco ... 20Form.pdf

(note - each school has a different LOR form).

Hope this helps!

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_Tatiana » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:57 am
Hi Hunambiar,

The best letters of recommendation come from professors, managers, or colleagues who know you very well. My letters of recommendation came from my manager, my former manager, and a long term colleague. I was five years out of school at the point I was applying for my MBA, and thus also need a more recent attestment to my abilities than a professor could provide.

I didn't provide them with any kind of template, and they didn't ask for one. Honestly, I would stay away from templates here. The purpose of the letters are for the admissions committees to get a better sense of who you actually are and what you have accomplished, so that they know what you are capable of accomplishing with a degree from their school.

If your recommenders are really busy or not sure where to get started, then I would recommend that you jump start their writing by listing out your accomplishments and your traits that they would have witnessed working with you.

Best wishes,

Tatiana
Tatiana Becker | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep