Reading Comprehension: A Critical Skill

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

Reading Comprehension: A Critical Skill

by artistocrat » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:04 pm
I am struggling a bit with Reading Comprehension. I find on average I am taking 3:45-4:00 mins just to read the passages. Sometimes I am able to read the passage more quickly, when it is a short one. I have tried a few different strategies, such as sketching out the basic structure, reading for the main point, and reading topic and closing sentences. Invariably, I regress to my native reading habits, and hence, get easily confused or misdirected by tricky questions, only to find myself making a series of blunders.

A friend of mine recommended a speed reading software, but I am afraid that the way you should read GMAT passages is quite different from the way you would read casual material. One is very active, while with the other you can afford to be more passive (especially when reading for entertainment).

I am running out of ideas as to how to improve in this area, as it is my weak area. Practicing loads of passages does not seem to help. On the contrary, I feel it could even be reinforcing bad habits. My lack of methodology bothers me, since I am able to approach the rest of my test preparation in a rather systematic way.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I am interested in novices and experts alike. Thank you.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:21 members

by Bara » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:45 pm
Artistocrat: Speedreading that is focused on GMAT would be your best bet. You're right about learning 'everything' about speedreading - - it's not necessary - - its like taking a semester probability class for the GMAT. It's over kill.

If you can get to NYC August 21st, we're teaching a course that you would benefit from. It's the only GMAT (and grad school specific) SpeedReading course offered - - info and enroll at mindflowclass.com

Here is the info:

MindFlow

Increase your Important GMAT, GRE and LSAT Tests Score by Improving Your Reading Comprehension Performance.

The most powerful standardized Readiing Comprehension Preparation available MindFlowâ„¢ is a one-day/five-hour class created to improve students' performance on GMAT*, LSAT, and GRE Reading Comprehension questions while providing valuable test insight and confidence in overall test taking abilities with TPNY's Mindset tools. Comprehend twice as much, twice as fast.

In ONE day, MindFlowâ„¢ students improve their Reading Comprehension performance by an average of 13%.

The most powerful standardized Readiing Comprehension Preparation available

Speed Reading + Strategy + Positive Mindset = Test Success

Learn the critical thinking skills necessary for mastering GMAT*, LSAT, and GRE test-specific passages and questions, making it easier to comprehend complex passages, relationships within the passages, and ways to "read between the lines," at an increased speed.

This class will benefit those ready to dive into preparation and those who are seeking effective means to fine-tune their efforts. MindFlowâ„¢: The Ultimate Reading Comprehension Preparation Class for GMAT, LSAT and GRE test takers. A one-day/five hour investment. Pricing: $300, includes all course materials.

This is the next opportunity to enroll in a MindFlow class this summer:

Sunday, August 21st, 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.

Class held at MetLife offices, 260 Madison Avenue - suite TBA
For more information contact Alan Brown at 646-290-7440.

Best,
Bara Sapir, MA, CHt, CNLP
Founder/CEO City Test Prep
Maximize your Score, Minimize your Stress!
GMAT Badass and Test Anxiety Relief Expert
SPEEDREADING: https://citytestprep.com/mindflow-workshops/
ANXIETY RELIEF: https://citytestprep.com/mindfulness-therapy/
BOOK: https://tinyurl.com/TPNYSC
TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McA4aqCNS-c

Followed by:1 members

by XLogic » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:35 pm
artistocrat wrote:I am struggling a bit with Reading Comprehension. I find on average I am taking 3:45-4:00 mins just to read the passages. Sometimes I am able to read the passage more quickly, when it is a short one. I have tried a few different strategies, such as sketching out the basic structure, reading for the main point, and reading topic and closing sentences. Invariably, I regress to my native reading habits, and hence, get easily confused or misdirected by tricky questions, only to find myself making a series of blunders.

I am running out of ideas as to how to improve in this area, as it is my weak area. Practicing loads of passages does not seem to help. On the contrary, I feel it could even be reinforcing bad habits. My lack of methodology bothers me, since I am able to approach the rest of my test preparation in a rather systematic way.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I am interested in novices and experts alike. Thank you.
I understand where you are coming from. I should know, because I am a traditionally slow reader who compounded issues by reading too closely for detail. This was a terribly difficult habit to change (still working on it) because I'm a bit of a control freak. I figured I'd understand everything about the passage so I didn't get tricked. This played nicely into their hands... :-)

Science passages especially! I would spend over 4 minutes dissecting the passage, but understanding little in the end. However, I started to notice some improvements, when I began focusing more on the "structure" of the passage (I know you mentioned this already, but it is key).

The detail is important too, but only to the extent that we understand how it fits into the structure and reasoning of the passage. Focusing on structure/mainpoint allows us to see the big picture...
i.e., "Why did the author write the passage?" "What was her purpose? -- to argue a point? to describe a phenomenon?".

Armed with this information and a map of where to find specific detail -- for those pesky detail questions -- we are set to attack any RC passage! To practice reading for structure, sometimes I'll read a well written science/economics article online. At the end of the exercise, I'll attempt to answer only two questions. 1) What was the main point? 2) In general, how was the point supported?

Unfortunately, I guess I don't have anything novel to suggest. I've noticed improvements with the "Structure" approach. I hope we can get more input on this issue because I'm sure we are not the only ones experiencing this.

Good Luck!
my post helped --> thank me!
don't thank me --> my post = what the..??

Followed by:1 members

by XLogic » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:22 am
artistocrat wrote:I am struggling a bit with Reading Comprehension. I find on average I am taking 3:45-4:00 mins just to read the passages. Sometimes I am able to read the passage more quickly, when it is a short one. I have tried a few different strategies, such as sketching out the basic structure, reading for the main point, and reading topic and closing sentences. Invariably, I regress to my native reading habits, and hence, get easily confused or misdirected by tricky questions, only to find myself making a series of blunders.

A friend of mine recommended a speed reading software, but I am afraid that the way you should read GMAT passages is quite different from the way you would read casual material. One is very active, while with the other you can afford to be more passive (especially when reading for entertainment).

I think you'll find this article helpful: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2011/08/ ... strategies

Cheers!
my post helped --> thank me!
don't thank me --> my post = what the..??