Re-taking the GMAT?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Re-taking the GMAT?

by jslmiles » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:46 am
I've got a couple of questions about re-taking the GMAT.

Quick background: 1st test I scored 670, second test 700 (Q67%/V90%). I'm aiming to get into a top 10 or 15 level school.

1. Is it worth taking a third time to try for a 710 or 720? Is there a big difference between a 700 and a 720 from an admissions perspective?

2. What if I score below the 700 on the third test? Although most schools take the highest score, will this put my 700 in a bad light?

3. Will a lopsided score (much stronger in verbal) be a significant problem, or is the total score more of the filter point?

Thank You

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:51 am
from what I understand if you were to score lower on the 3rd exam it wouldn't hurt you at all... if i were to answer your question a month or two ago i would say that you should take it again to get your Quant score up. now that i've been studying hardcore and aim to get 700+ i honestly don't know what to tell you... if i see a 700 pop up on the screen when I take the exam I think i'll say to myself "phew... thank god that's over" no matter what my split is... but you have to remember that this is business school and they will be looking at your Q score specifically. I would take it again just to be safe
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by jslmiles » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:09 am
Thanks for the response. I've done some more reading, and I don't think I have anything to lose by taking it again (except time and $$). I'm going to study for another month or 45 days, and then retake for the final time.

Good luck on your exam!