Ratios Question

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Ratios Question

by Nijo » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:24 am
A contractor combined x tons of a gravel mixture that contained 10% gravel by weight with y tons of a mixture that contained 2% gravel by weight to produce z tons of a mixture that was 5% gravel by weight.
What is the value of x?
1) y = 10
2) z = 16

OA is D

thanks

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:43 am
A contractor combined x tons of a gravel mixture that contained 10% gravel G, by weight, with y tons of a mixture that contained 2 percent of the gravel G, by weight, to produce z tons of a mixture that was 5 percent gravel G, by weight. What is the value of x?

1) y = 10

2) z = 16
x = 10% gravel
y = 2% gravel.
z = the MIXTURE of x and y = 5% gravel.

To determine the required ratio of x to y, use ALLIGATION -- a very efficient way to handle MIXTURE PROBLEMS.

Step 1: Plot the 3 percentages on a number line, with the percentages for x and y on the ends and the percentage for mixture z in the middle.
x 10%-----------5%-----------2% y

Step 2: Calculate the distances between the percentages.
x 10%-----5-----5%----3-----2% y

Step 3: Determine the ratio in the mixture.
The required ratio of x to y is equal to the RECIPROCAL of the distances in red.
x:y = 3:5.

Since x:y = 3:5, and 3+5 = 8, every 8 tons of mixture z is composed of 3 tons of x and 5 tons of y.

Statement 1: y=10
Since x:y = 3:5 = 6:10, x=6.
SUFFICIENT.

Statement 2: z=16
Since x:y = 3:5 = 6:10, and 6+10 = 16, the 16 tons of mixture z must be composed of 6 tons of x and 10 tons of y.
SUFFICIENT.

The correct answer is D.

Check here for a similar problem:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/weighted-ave ... 74015.html
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:41 pm
Hi Nijo,

This question is build around an interesting math shortcut: a "system" of equations.

The information in the prompt can be rewritten into 2 equations:

The first equation accounts for the mixture:
.1(X) + .02(Y) = .05(Z)

It can be simplified...

.1X + .02Y = .05Z
10X + 2Y = 5Z

and

The second equation accounts for the fact that when we mix X tons with Y tons, we get Z tons:
X + Y = Z

Since we're mixing two types of gravel, we don't have to think about using 0 or any negative numbers. The info in the prompt gives us 3 variables and 2 unique equations. If we are given another new equation, then we'll have a "system" of equations, which will allow us to solve for all 3 variables. We're asked for the value of X.

Fact 1: Y = 10

This is a third equation. If we plug this value into the 2 given equations, then we COULD solve for X. We don't actually have to do the math though.
Fact 1 is SUFFICIENT.

Fact 2: Z = 16

This too is a third equation. If we plug this value into the 2 given equations, then we COULD solve for X.
Fact 2 is SUFFICIENT.

Final Answer: D

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Last edited by [email protected] on Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by akhilsuhag » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:44 am
[email protected] wrote:Hi Nijo,

This question is build around an interesting math shortcut: a "system" of equations.

[.1(X) + .02(Y)]/(X + Y) = .05(Z)

It can be simplified...

.1X + .02Y = .05XYZ
10X + 2Y = 5XYZ

and

The second equation accounts for the fact that when we mix X tons with Y tons, we get Z tons:
X + Y = Z

Since we're mixing two types of gravel, we don't have to think about using 0 or any negative numbers. The info in the prompt gives us 3 variables and 2 unique equations. If we are given another new equation, then we'll have a "system" of equations, which will allow us to solve for all 3 variables. We're asked for the value of X.

This is a third equation. If we plug this value into the 2 given equations, then we COULD solve for X. We don't actually have to do the math though.
Fact 1 is SUFFICIENT.

This too is a third equation. If we plug this value into the 2 given equations, then we COULD solve for X.
Fact 2 is SUFFICIENT.

Rich
Rich I used two equations as well but our first ones are different. Can you explain why and if I am incorrect

0.1X + .02Y = 0.05 Z

X + Y = Z

You use a little different version of the first equation I used. I mean to say that the amount of gravel in X + amount of gravel in Y is equal to the amount of gravel in Z - as thr is no other source of gravel.

You seem to divide the Left hand side by (X+Y) although.
Please press "thanks" if you think my post has helped you.. Cheers!!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:04 am
akhilsuhag wrote:
[email protected] wrote:Hi Nijo,

[.1(X) + .02(Y)]/(X + Y) = .05(Z)

It can be simplified...

.1X + .02Y = .05XYZ
10X + 2Y = 5XYZ

and

X + Y = Z

Fact 1 is SUFFICIENT.

Fact 2 is SUFFICIENT.

Rich
Rich I used two equations as well but our first ones are different. Can you explain why and if I am incorrect

0.1X + .02Y = 0.05 Z

X + Y = Z

You use a little different version of the first equation I used. I mean to say that the amount of gravel in X + amount of gravel in Y is equal to the amount of gravel in Z - as thr is no other source of gravel.

You seem to divide the Left hand side by (X+Y) although.
Your equation is correct.

I believe that Rich's equation should read as follows:
(0.1X + 0.02Y)/Z = 0.05.
Translated into words:
(gravel in X + gravel in Y)/(Z tons of the mixture of X and Y) = 5 percent.

Simplifying the equation above, we get:
0.1X + 0.02Y = 0.05Z
10X + 2Y = 5Z.

As you can see, your equation and Rich's are the same.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:18 am
Hi akhilsuhag,

You are absolutely correct; I must have been typing too quickly to notice the mistake. I've gone back and corrected by original post.

Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Legendary Member
Followed by:24 members

by GMATinsight » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:28 am
Nijo wrote:A contractor combined x tons of a gravel mixture that contained 10% gravel by weight with y tons of a mixture that contained 2% gravel by weight to produce z tons of a mixture that was 5% gravel by weight.
What is the value of x?
1) y = 10
2) z = 16

OA is D

thanks
Solution :

Answer: Option D
Attachments
Solution 50.jpg
"GMATinsight"Bhoopendra Singh & Sushma Jha
Most Comprehensive and Affordable Video Course 2000+ CONCEPT Videos and Video Solutions
Whatsapp/Mobile: +91-9999687183 l [email protected]
Contact for One-on-One FREE ONLINE DEMO Class Call/e-mail
Most Efficient and affordable One-On-One Private tutoring fee - US$40-50 per hour