Rating of books and test

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Rating of books and test

by rupsk » Sun May 15, 2011 5:44 pm
Hi,

I have joined the veritas online course and also have Manhattan study books. I wanted to know where this books stand in perspective of actual GMAT, i mean what is the ratio of hard questions to easy. I am targeting for 750+, so wanted to know what will be score one should get in from the given books to achieve the same in respective area. How should I judge myself based on this material and test. Please help me.

Thanks

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Sun May 15, 2011 7:55 pm
Closest predictor of ur actual score will be GMAT Prep.

MGMAT Tests are really good for practice. especially their math section. While you should not read too much into the scores, you can use them to analyze your strengths and weaknesses.

It will give you some idea of your performance levels.

Take a Kaplan test. U will not score below that in your actual test. :)
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by rupsk » Mon May 16, 2011 4:48 am
Thanks for the reply. I would appreciate more help on my questions and i will try to give kplan test.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Mon May 16, 2011 5:34 am
We are always in search of a firm answer in life...

There is no magic number of questions that you can get right in a set of books that will guarantee you a given score on the GMAT. You have to consider things like time pressure, taking the questions on the computer screen and working with them, how you perform on game day, the fact that the test is adapting to try to find your weaknesses.

With that said, let me speak to the Veritas books -- the questions in those books are geared to take people well over the 700 level so you will find plenty of very difficult questions - there is even a "Challenge" section at the end of nearly every book and that section gives you questions that are as difficult as anything that has ever appeared on the GMAT. You will find as much difficult as you could ever ask for. So that is 14 books right there with lots of tough questions.

Then you say you have the 8 Manhattan books and the supplemental questions with those as well...I cannot be as specific about those but that should bring you lots of difficulty and great questions as well. So you should be all set! Although if your Veritas class starts soon you might want to wait on the Manhattan books so you can keep up with your class.

By the way, no need to take the Kaplan Test unless you decide to - you do have more than a dozen tests on your Veritas account and you should have 6 with the Manhattan books. Both the Veritas Prep Simulator and the Manhattan Tests should tend to score you lower than you would get on test day as they are hard tests. If it is tough you are looking for you have chosen the right materials and the right course.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course