Rate my essays please :)

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Rate my essays please :)

by ellochewy » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:27 pm
I wrote these essays just like I would on the test with a 30 minute time limit. Please rate my essays on a scale of 1-6. Thank you so much!

Analysis of an Issue:
"There is only one definition of success-to be able to spend your life in your own way."

Some argue that the definition of success is being able to spend your life in your own way. It is argued that the definition of success varies from person to person, so the ability to do what you want in your life must be a success. A closer look at this argument shows that spending your life in your own way does not guarantee that you will reach success according to your own standards.

Although everyone has their own interpretation of success and most people will live life in an attempt to reach this goal, it is not guaranteed that everyone will actually reach said goal. In life it is common that we know what we ought to do, but we seldom do what we ought to do and instead do what we want to do. For example, in school I might have an essay due tomorrow. I know that in order to be successful with this paper, I must start working on it immediately. There are however, a number of distractions that may cause me to procrastinate with this work, leading me to write a shoddy paper rather than a well written one. I have spent that time in my own way, but I was not successful in writing a good paper. Therefore, the ability to live life in your own way does not necessarily conclude that you will live life in your own definition of success.

It is important to consider that one person's definition for success may infringe on another person's definition of success. An example of this is a man on the race to riches, glory, and fame. This person's definition of success is to be able to spend his life in his own way. To do this he will overcome those who stand in his way by any means whether it's extorting others or backstabbing friends. We must look at this example from the perspective of the other people who were extorted or backstabbed one this man's path to glory and fame. If the definition of success for these people were to be able to spend their life in their own way, life certainly did not turn out the way they expected it to and therefore failed at success.

I do not believe there is one definition of success, because each individual has different views and is constrained by different conditions. While some argue that the definition of success is to be able to spend your life in your own way, we will see that this statement in itself is not possible due to the volatility of life and unknown conditions of the future.

Analysis of an Argument:
"Corporations should look to the city of Helios when seeking new business opportunities or a new location. Even in the recent recession, Helios's unemployment rate was lower than the regional average. It is the industrial center of the region, and historically it has provided more than its share of the region's manufacturing jobs. In addition, Helios is attempting to expand its economic base by attracting companies that focus on research and development of innovative technologies."

The writer concludes that all corporations should look to the city of Helios when seeking new business opportunities or a new location because Helios has a low unemployment rate and is a booming industrial center of the region. This conclusion, however, relies on assumptions for which there is no clear evidence.

First, the writer highlights that Helios is an industrial center of the region, has a low unemployment rate, and has historically provided more than its share of the region's manufacturing jobs. Due to these combined factors, the writer argues that any company who wants to expand new business or wants to move to a new location should come to Helios. Although the features of the city listed are important factors when looking for a booming city for business growth, the writer has provided little evidence that these features are what every company needs to grow. For example, if a service company is severely understaffed and needs a large influx of workers for operations, the low unemployment rate might signal that there may not be enough people to fill the open positions in the company. Furthermore, it is ambiguous as to how a company in the service industry will benefit in an area that is surrounded by manufacturing companies over any other area. This argument can be improved if the writer provides clear evidence that all companies can benefit from said highlights of Helios.

In addition, the writer states that Helios is attempting to expand its economic base by attracting companies that focus on research and development of innovative technologies. The writer uses this as a basis to prove that all companies should move to Helios. However, there is a gap in this logic because not all companies focus on the research and development of innovative technologies. Some companies may be in the retail industry, others may be in the education industry. It states that Helios is attracting companies who focus on research and development of innovative technologies, so there is no reason to believe that Helios is also looking for companies involved with other industries. In order to improve this argument, the writer must consider the possibility that there are companies outside the research and development industry that are wanted by the city of Helios.

Finally, the writer seems to be saying that Helios bolsters a large base of manufacturing workers and that one of the benefits of moving to Helios is to tap into this resource. As stated earlier, there are many industries outside of manufacturing that may find this appeal irrelevant to decision making. The weight of this argument does not hold if a company has no need to recruit skilled manufacturing workers. If the writer can provide evidence that companies of all industries can benefit from moving to Helios, only can the conclusion be considered.

Legendary Member
Followed by:22 members

by throughmba » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:15 pm
Both of them have been very well argued. A few suggestions

1. You must write in the direction of what you like or feel but that may not be the best argued write-up. try to find a balance between both.

2. Most of these over simplistic statements should be argued equivocally with a 70 30 balance tilted on one side.

Keep preparing and keep posting.
Best of Luck
ThroughMBA Consulting
The No. 1 B-School Admission Consulting of U.K. is now the most Affordable.

https://throughmba.com
email : [email protected]

Alex Wilkins
Senior Admission Consultant, ThroughMBA.com
Panelist | MBA Admissions Achievers Meet
Interviewer | MIT Sloan | Former
Management Consultant | McKinsey & Company | Former

"Regardless of who you are or what you have been, You can make what you want to be."