Rare VS Rarity + and VS with

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:530

Rare VS Rarity + and VS with

by vishalwin » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:07 pm
The diet of the ordinary Greek in classical times was largely vegetarian-vegetables, fresh cheese, oatmeal, and meal cakes, and meat rarely.

(A) and meat rarely
(B) and meat was rare
(C) with meat as rare
(D) meat a rarity
(E) with meat as a rarity

Can anyone please explain option C

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:33 am
The diet of the ordinary Greek in classical times was largely vegetarian--vegetables, fresh cheese, oatmeal,
and meal cakes, and meat rarely.

(A) and meat rarely
(B) and meat was rare
(C) with meat as rare
(D) meat a rarity
(E) with meat as a rarity
A and B: The diet of the ordinary Greek in classical times was largely vegetarian--vegetables, fresh cheese...and meat.
Here, the usage of and meat implies that meat is a VEGETARIAN food.
This meaning is nonsensical.
Eliminate A and B.

C: meat as rare
meat as rare AS WHAT?
Also, the usage of rare could imply RARE MEAT -- in other words, meat that is barely cooked.
Not the intended meaning.
Eliminate C.

An absolute phrase is a modifier composed of COMMA + NOUN + OTHER WORDS that serves to modify the entire preceding clause.
In an absolute phrase, the noun after the comma must refer to the PRECEDING SUBJECT.
SC108 in the OG for Verbal:
Sound can travel through water for enormous distances, its acoustic energy prevented from dissipating.
Here, the portion in red is an absolute phrase in which its acoustic energy (the noun after the comma) refers to sound (the preceding subject).

D: The diet of the ordinary Greek in classical times was largely vegetarian, meat a rarity.
Here, the portion in red seems to be an absolute phrase, but meat (the noun after the comma) does not refer to the diet (the preceding subject).
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is E.

Generally, COMMA + with at the end of a sentence serves as an ADVERB modifying the VERB in the preceding clause.
OA: The diet of the ordinary Greek in classical times WAS largely vegetarian -- vegetables, fresh cheese, oatmeal, and meal cakes, WITH meat as a rarity.
Here, the portion in red is an adverb modifying was -- the verb in the preceding clause -- expressing how the diet WAS largely vegetarian.
HOW was the diet largely vegetarian?
WITH meat as a rarity.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by RBBmba@2014 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:55 pm
Hi GMATGuruNY,
Apart from what you mentioned above, please let me know whether the followings are potential ERRORs -

Option A: meat rarely -- rarely is an ADVERB, so it can't modify a NOUN (re MEAT).

Option C: with meat as rare -- rare is an ADJECTIVE, so this PHRASE becomes ungrammatical/nonsensical.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:53 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:Hi GMATGuruNY,
Apart from what you mentioned above, please let me know whether the followings are potential ERRORs -

Option A: meat rarely -- rarely is an ADVERB, so it can't modify a NOUN (re MEAT).
Correct.
Option C: meat as rare -- rare is an ADJECTIVE, so this PHRASE becomes ungrammatical/nonsensical.
On its own, NOUN + as + ADJECTIVE is not grammatically viable.
But this phrase can serve to INTRODUCE a correct structure, as in the following:
an event as rare as a solar eclipse
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3