Ran out of time in actual gmat today 730..

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi,
Just came back from taking GMAT, and I ran out of time in both V and Q. Bummed out due to it.
I guessed at random last 3 problems that looked easy on the surface in Quant, and last 4 problems in Verbal in the last few remaining seconds.

I got a 730 with 49 Q, 40 V, but I was doing better on gmatprep (760).

Any ideas how much running out of time made my score lower at the end...

Is retaking worth the hassle at this score?

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by vittalgmat » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:41 pm
Dude!!!!
Can u give me ur score... since u want to do it again!!! ;-)
just kidding!!!

This is an awesome score.

Jokes apart, I read a few articles on this forum and elsewhere that there is not much that u gain by a 760 or 770 vs 730. Infact, that article even mentioned that a high score 760+ (I guess) would be detrimental, coz u might be categorized as a nerd/geek. And real world biz does not need Einsteins to run the biz coz they are more suitable in doing what are doing - pushing the limits of knowledge- and not managing it.

So my $.2 suggestion: Go and enjoy and start working on ur apps..

Good luck

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:730

by Carloblacksun » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:20 pm
hallo! I got your same 730 - 49Q - 40V after a couple of 760 on the official tests...

where did you take the test? this is somehow important, don't know why, but I have a theory about it...

Believe me, the actual test, on the higher level of questions, is MUCH harder than the offical prep test, so, no surprise for me that you scored a little lower.

during the prep test, I normally had 10-15 minutes of advance for each section, while on the actual test I finished in a hurry and I also skipped 4-5 questions (meaning that I answered quickly, without the full calculation)...

to me, if you retake the test, you are stupid, sorry to say.

by workonnet1 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:15 pm
Carloblacksun, I took the test in new jersey. Why do you think where one takes the test is important?

GMAT Score:730

by Carloblacksun » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:11 am
Well, because I took it in Roma, and the manager of the center told me that ON AVERAGE, people who took the official prep test from GMAC, score between 60 and 80 points lower...

I actually scored 730, while my averages were 760, but for me the test was extremely more difficult than offical prep tests, moreover I almost ran out of time...

so maybe it's a problem only in Italy...but appearently it's not!

GMAT Score:610

by nitinrai » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:34 am
workonnet1 wrote:Carloblacksun, I took the test in new jersey. Why do you think where one takes the test is important?
Where in New Jersey . actuallly my test is schedule in Somerset center of NJ. So i just wnat to know is it same as ur center
I firmly believe that one can succeed at almost anything for which one has unlimited enthusiasm.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:15 members

by VP_Jim » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:28 pm
Just to squash any rumors before they begin: the GMAT is exactly the same whether you take it in Italy, New Jersey, or Timbuktu (well, okay, there probably isn't a testing center there, but you know what I mean!).

Running out of time probably didn't hurt you too much. The last couple questions aren't as important as the earlier ones, so maybe you lost 10 points, 20 max.

As for retaking, 730 is probably sufficient for just about anywhere. Most schools simply look to see that you're over a certain threshold (say, 700)... then the rest of your application becomes much more important than a few extra points on the GMAT.
Jim S. | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep

What is this theory on GMAT score?

by gmattarget700 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:24 pm
hey guys, what is this "theory" you talking about, that whatever you scored in GMATPrep, in actual exam you would get 60-80 points lower...

Sorry, but you should avoid putting such theory on the site....where people come with hope to get guidance and do "better"...but by putting such thing on here at beatthegmat, dont you think you are discouraging others?

I have given my first GMATPrep yesterday and got 600 (Q48,V32)...are you saying, I would not be able to achieve my target of 700 or atleast its not likely?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:15 members

by VP_Jim » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:33 pm
You're right, that is just a "theory". I've had lots of students, and a large percentage of them score within about 30 points of their final GMAT Prep test.

It's definitely NOT true that you're likely to drop 60-80 points!
Jim S. | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep