Question Regarding Community Service

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Question Regarding Community Service

by AmiParik82 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:27 pm
Hello

I have a very specific question related to community service. I quit my job 6 months back and since then have been volunteering work in a private hospital (Not a non-profit organization) in Mumbai, India. I decided to volunteer work in a private hospital because i wanted to help people and contribute to my community and at the same time gain some experience in administrative work. I have a 3 years of experience in Information Technology (IT) field and I am interested in perusing MBA in IT or IT related MBA's.

My question to you are:

1> will my volunteer work in private hospital considered community service by admission committee?

2> Can I put my volunteer work experience in my resume while applying to MBA programs?

2> As I took a break from work to do volunteer work will that be taken negatively by the admission committee?

I look forward to receiving your reply.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Ami

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:9 members

by mbaMissionJessica » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:33 pm
Hi Ami, and thank you for your questions. To answer them:

1. The admissions committee isn't looking to check a box on "community service", they're looking for evidence that an applicant has a broader connection with the world than just work, multiple facets to their personality, and a sense of engagement with the world. Demonstrating that is often done through community service, but I have seen applicants be successful discussing personal stories about helping family members, for example.

2. Yes, do put your volunteer work on your resume, although depending on the extent of it and results it may fit better under Interests or Personal rather than under Experience.

3. It sounds like you took a break in order to gain skills that are directly relevant to your career, or at least to rounding out your experience. As long as you are clear about the reasons for the break and what you've learned from it, I can't see how that will be viewed neatively.

Good luck.
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
mbaMission (www.mbamission.com)
646-485-8844

Sign up for a free consultation with mbaMission, the only admissions consulting firm that leading GMAT prep companies, ManhattanGMAT and Kaplan, recommend.
www.mbamission.com/consult.php