Question on Quitting Job Prior to Admission

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,
I am a 33 yr old female. 10 years work experience in telecom sector. I am planning to quit my full-time job, primarily to focus on preparing for the GMAT/Applications to Full-time MBA, travel in Europe and spend quality time with my 1-year old baby. I also have an option to work part-time on my family business (startup) after I quit my current job.
Does this reflect poorly on my application? Does contributing to the startup help negate it a bit? Or is this all just a bad idea?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:58 pm
stiwari07 wrote:Hi,
I am a 33 yr old female. 10 years work experience in telecom sector. I am planning to quit my full-time job, primarily to focus on preparing for the GMAT/Applications to Full-time MBA, travel in Europe and spend quality time with my 1-year old baby. I also have an option to work part-time on my family business (startup) after I quit my current job.
Does this reflect poorly on my application? Does contributing to the startup help negate it a bit? Or is this all just a bad idea?
Hi @Stiwari07, So glad you asked! Honestly- Nooooooo! Don't quit yet..... if you have not done so! You will have so much more "power" in the admissions process if you keep your job while applying! I suggest you apply in the earliest round you can- get IN... and then.... quit early if you want and take some time with your baby before you join the program. The problem with quitting before you get in is that it can make Adcoms nervous because it means the time you will be out of work is longer than just the 2 yrs of b school and if you don't get into B school you now have this gap to explain on your resume. I'd explore a part-time work option with your job before quitting altogether before you get your admissions acceptance! You can do whatever you want from the time of acceptance to the start of the program! Best wishes to you!