This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Question in the attachment

by eitijan » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:16 pm
Source: GMATPrep
Here, as vs like
As is used for comparison with a str : as + clause
whereas, like is used with a str : like + noun

A clause should have a subject and verb, in option C subject is there (much of Eastern Europe) but we there is no verb, is it not wrong usage?

While is option E with LIKE noun is there which is correct usage.

Please resolve my confusion.
Attachments
SC_ASvsLIKE.JPG

Followed by:2 members

by fabiocafarelli » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:36 pm
1. In respect of what you say about option E, LIKE is in fact incorrectly used. It is not possible to compare a noun or a noun phrase (MUCH OF EASTERN EUROPE) with a prepositional phrase (IN HUNGARY). LIKE compares nouns, pronouns, and noun phrases. (Furthermore, option E attempts to connect two independent clauses with a comma: an overwhelming proportion of women work, many are in middle management and light industry. This error is called a comma splice and always indicates a wrong answer in Sentence Correction.)

2. You say that the correct answer, option C, has no verb, but if you rearrange the sentence a little, you will see it. In Hungary ... an overwhelming proportion of women work. And the sentence is telling us that this is also the case in much of Eastern Europe. In other words, In much of Eastern Europe ... an overwhelming proportion of women work. Thus, WOMEN WORK in both places. The function of AS here is not exactly to compare but rather to say that what applies in Hungary applies in most of Eastern Europe: AS indicates that IN both places the situation is THE SAME.

Look at these examples, in which AS indicates the sameness of the situations:

On beaches, as in forests, there is abundant and varied wildlife.
In novels, as in plays, characters are presented and dramatic situations evolve.
For Hindus, as for Sikhs, Jains, and some Buddhists, Diwali is a time of festivity and celebration.

If you like this post, please click on the THANK icon.

You can also visit us at https://www.xgmat.com/[/i]

by eitijan » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:55 pm
LIKE and AS is used to represent similes and metaphors which can be called as comparisons or sameness(as u mentioned in your post).
After reading your explanantion, i got the reason why C is correct option but now I have got confused with usage of AS and LIKE.

As per my understanding, following are the 2 ways in which as and like are used:
Is this structure not true:
Comparison/Sameness : AS+clause Like+noun
state a function : As+noun N/A

Also I mentioned that option C does not contain verb in the clause after as (in much Eastern Europe)

Followed by:2 members

by fabiocafarelli » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:35 am
When AS introduces a prepositional phrase (this is the case in the question about Hungary and in the three examples I have written) the noun in the prepositional phrase is not the subject of the verb in the subsequent clause.

Thus, in my first example, WILDLIFE is the subject. In the second, CHARACTERS and SITUATIONS are the subjects. In the third, DIWALI is the subject.

What becomes the subject depends on the way the sentence is constructed. Let's try to clear up your doubts about AS and LIKE with the following series:

LIKE BEACHES, FORESTS ARE the home of abundant and varied wildlife. (LIKE is comparing the nouns BEACHES and FORESTS. FORESTS is the subject of the clause that follows it.)
BEACHES ARE the home of abundant and varied wildlife, AS FORESTS ARE. (AS is contrasting the clauses introduced by BEACHES and FORESTS and those nouns are therefore the subjects of the verbs in those clauses.)
ON BEACHES, AS IN FORESTS, there IS abundant and varied WILDLIFE. (Here, AS introduces a prepositional phrase, and the noun in that phrase is therefore not the subject: the subject appears in the clause that follows the phrase. Thus, the subject of the verb IS in this clause is WILDLIFE.

The three sentences express the same idea, but the syntax of each determines what becomes the subject of the verb.

Thus, in option C of your example, there IS a verb: it is WORK, and its subject is WOMEN.

If you like this post, please click on the THANK icon.

You can also visit us at https://www.xgmat.com/