question about long term goal

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

question about long term goal

by msingh » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:52 pm
I have a question whether my long-term goal is realistic ?

Short-Term Goal - My short-term goal is to obtain a Product Manager position at a bank. In this position, I will create strategies to increase competitive advantage of revenue generating applications.

Long-Term Goal - My long-term goal is to be an executive leader at a financial institution, and be responsible technology strategy. In this position, I will effectively lead teams with diverse backgrounds, and motivate stakeholders to influence growth of the bank.

My question -
1. does my long-term goal look realistic after my short-term goal? Currently i have a IT development background in a bank?
2. Is my long-term ok, in terms of being very general?

Many thanks in advance for your answers.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:740

by ivyctor2010 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:13 am
Hi

IT capability is common need of all banks as it helps launch different services.

Your long term goal sounds genuine and interesting as well. Do work upon it further and envision what exactly you wish to do in this domain.
Ivyctor Mobile App packed with school selection, scholarship, application management and alumni connect
Download https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .app&hl=en

by Apply Point » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:48 am
While I always advise clients to be as specific as possible when it comes to their short and long term goals, it is much more important to focus on the realistic specifics of your short-term goals. Your short-term goal is what business school admissions committees are most interested in, as this is what will have the most immediate impact on your time there -- looking to secure that internship, in-between the two years, and that first post-MBA job.

In this case, your long-term goal looks fine and certainly not too general. And, your short-term goal looks good, given your previous experience...but I would really need to get a better, more thorough look at your profile/resume to tell you for sure.

When admissions directors are evaluating your career trajectory, they not only look at the quality and quantity of your previous work experience...they are also looking at how obtainable your short-term goal is, given your previous experience.

I hope this helps. I wish you all the best.
Mary Pat Jacobs
Director, Apply Point Admissions Consulting
www.applypoint.net

by msingh » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:23 am
Many thanks for your replies.

I have about 12 yrs of experience in IT, working in roles such as Programmer, Architect & Project Manager.

Hence i feel my short-term goal of Product Manager is quite realistic. In my essays i have been very specific about my short term goal i.e Product Manager at my current bank. however my LT goal is bit at a high level - technology strategy at a financial institution.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:10 members

by myEssayReview » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:08 pm
I would not worry if your long term is at a high level.If your short term goal is specific and realistic , and you can establish a link between your long term and short term goal, demonstrating how you envision to achieve it, I think it's absolutely fine to be ambitious and a dreamer.
If you find my post helpful, please let me know by pushing the thank button.
myEssayReview- A personalized and dedicated essay review service
https://myessayreview.com/
Email:[email protected]