Quant Strategy Book

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Quant Strategy Book

by Does The GMAT beat back? » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:07 pm
I've been fortunate enough to have made it through most of the MGMAT Quant guides. They have been such a BIG help in re-learning the fundamentals. Although the fundamentals have been very important, I was thrown for a whirlwind upon my first practice CAT. I now feel that this test is more about learning the language of GMAC in order to unlock the actual question itself; as opposed to simply being able to un-Foil a quadratic formula.

Are there any resources/books that go into this deeper? I'm looking for something on the lines of "when you see this, know that you're supposed to manipulate both sides to solve for this". Or "when you see two variables with two very distinct linear equations, know that your data is most likely sufficient." Or if they ask for the shortest distance of a vertice of a cube to an inscribed sphere, understand that their asking for the distance of the corner of the cube to the sphere along the diagonal which we know is (S root 3) which we can solve by taking half the distance of the diagonal minus the distance of the radius to solve that distance."

I hope this gives a better idea. I'm not looking for shortcuts, but any resource that ones have found favorable.

Warm Regards,

~bp

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members
GMAT Score:760

by harsh.champ » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:21 am
Does The GMAT beat back? wrote:I've been fortunate enough to have made it through most of the MGMAT Quant guides. They have been such a BIG help in re-learning the fundamentals. Although the fundamentals have been very important, I was thrown for a whirlwind upon my first practice CAT. I now feel that this test is more about learning the language of GMAC in order to unlock the actual question itself; as opposed to simply being able to un-Foil a quadratic formula.

Are there any resources/books that go into this deeper? I'm looking for something on the lines of "when you see this, know that you're supposed to manipulate both sides to solve for this". Or "when you see two variables with two very distinct linear equations, know that your data is most likely sufficient." Or if they ask for the shortest distance of a vertice of a cube to an inscribed sphere, understand that their asking for the distance of the corner of the cube to the sphere along the diagonal which we know is (S root 3) which we can solve by taking half the distance of the diagonal minus the distance of the radius to solve that distance."

I hope this gives a better idea. I'm not looking for shortcuts, but any resource that ones have found favorable.

Warm Regards,

~bp

I think the Manhattan guides contain sufficient "tricks and tips".
Have you taken any classroom or online course??
It takes time and effort to explain, so if my comment helped you please press Thanks button :)

Just because something is hard doesn't mean you shouldn't try,it means you should just try harder.

"Keep Walking" - Johnny Walker :P

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Does The GMAT beat back? » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:41 am
harsh.champ wrote:

I think the Manhattan guides contain sufficient "tricks and tips".
Have you taken any classroom or online course??
No I have not taken any online or classroom courses. Is that something you recommend; a particular one? I have hired a tutor which has done some good but it's hard to "know" what you don't "know" and a tutor can only cover so much in the limited amount of time IMO. So it's been good but also feel as though it could be better.

~bp

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members
GMAT Score:760

by harsh.champ » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:51 am
I attended some online classes and found it to be helpful.
Can you elaborate on ur weakness and strengths??
It takes time and effort to explain, so if my comment helped you please press Thanks button :)

Just because something is hard doesn't mean you shouldn't try,it means you should just try harder.

"Keep Walking" - Johnny Walker :P