PTE or TOEFL---> what to choose ??

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members

PTE or TOEFL---> what to choose ??

by atulmangal » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:16 am
Dear all,

I am planning to give the GMAT in June. As, i'm a non-native English speaker, i have to give a Language Proficiency Test apart from GMAT. I have two option either i give TOEFL or PTE. If i go for PTE, i get special discount as i buy the bundle package ($360 for both). Now, i heard that some schools like Harvard demand a minimum score in TOEFL for admission. My question is, although PTE scores is now recognized by many American Universities, still is it safe to opt PTE over TOEFL??? Is it gonna affect my admission in B-school?? Do top B-schools in US give a special preference to TOEFL scores over PTE scores??

Experts please reply.

Thanks and Best Regards

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:59 am
Hi Atul,

Take the TOEFL. I think it is the safer option.

And hey, request you not to post such questions in this forum. :)

Thanks
Vineesh
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)

Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members

by atulmangal » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:06 am
Hi

I'm sorry as i don't know where to post this question. Anyways Thanks.

Best Regards

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:07 am
No need for apologies buddy. :) I dont own this forum anyway ;-)
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)

Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members

by Night reader » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:08 pm
@atul, I am not an expert BUT decided to reply based on my post-GMAT experience. There's no way for GMAC to correlate its own test with ETS designated Toefl ibt. Here's my view -

>> I am convinced that PTE is much better option for one taking the GMAT exam. If you score sufficiently on PTE and, in case you get underscored in the verbal section of GMAT (hopefully you won't get underscored), you might interplay two scores from English language test and GMAT verbal section upon Business School AdComs. At the end of day, GMAT is Math and English language exam.

atulmangal wrote:Dear all,

I am planning to give the GMAT in June. As, i'm a non-native English speaker, i have to give a Language Proficiency Test apart from GMAT. I have two option either i give TOEFL or PTE. If i go for PTE, i get special discount as i buy the bundle package ($360 for both). Now, i heard that some schools like Harvard demand a minimum score in TOEFL for admission. My question is, although PTE scores is now recognized by many American Universities, still is it safe to opt PTE over TOEFL??? Is it gonna affect my admission in B-school?? Do top B-schools in US give a special preference to TOEFL scores over PTE scores??

Experts please reply.

Thanks and Best Regards
My knowledge frontiers came to evolve the GMATPill's methods - the credited study means to boost the Verbal competence. I really like their videos, especially for RC, CR and SC. You do check their study methods at https://www.gmatpill.com