Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation

by quiksi » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:57 am
BBA, Management Information Systems, Minor in Chinese, University of Houston
3.3 GPA overall, 3.93 Major

- GMAT: 690, 44Q, 41V, 5.0 AWA

-Current employment: Information Systems Analyst at a top 5 Oil and Gas company currently in a "New Hire Development Program"

-Internship experience: IT Programmer/Analyst at a major financial services company

I am hoping to move to a technical lead position within the next few months (I have been recommended, but not yet officially endorsed for the position) and have had a few small project management roles coordinating IT training efforts and hardware/software upgrades.

Target Schools: McCombs (Texas), Freeman (Tulane) and Jones (Rice) part-time professional programs.

Target starting time: 2009

What sort of work-related and extracurricular activities should someone as early in their career as myself be looking for in order to have a strong application within the next few years?

Thanks for any insight.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Amy » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:59 pm
Hi quiksi,

I love this question, because you really have the time to shape your career and work the MBA very logically into it when you think this far ahead.

I would suggest devoting yourself to professional development. To me, this means working extremely hard at work and taking on additional responsibility whenever possible - truly being passionate about your job and learning as much as you possibly can where you are now. Network as much as you can, seek advice from people senior to you, and even start networking with alumni of the schools you are interested in.

Outside of work you have the opportunity to be a strong leader, and even run an organization or event from start to finish, which will be a great story for essays, and both develop and test your leadership potential.

Good luck!

amy
Amy
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by quiksi » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:30 am
Amy,

Thanks for the advice and encouragement!

Are my grades and test scores going to be detrimental to my application in any way?

-Jason

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Amy » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:52 pm
Hi Jason,

I think your grades and test scores are in range for your target scores.

Good luck!

Amy
Amy
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting