Profile evaluation

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile evaluation

by schitij » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:30 am
Hi I just scored a 700 (Q46V40) on the GMAT.

I am an engineer from BITS Pilani (a very highly reputed university in India). After graduation I worked with Oracle as an application developer for 2 years. Consequently I pursued a fellowship called the Young India Fellowship (200 selected individuals from all over India) and received a Post Graduate Diploma in Liberal Arts and Leadership. After the fellowship I chose to work for a mid size manufacturing firm (~USD 100m) in a role that comprises business development, operations and marketing. At this company I work closely with the senior management including the CEO, CFO and VP- Technology. My overall work experience currently is 3 years and would 4 years at the time I enter b school in 2017.
I have strong extra-circular activities. I have represented my school and college football teams at the highest levels and held positions of responsibilities in various departments in school and college. I graduated with a CGPA of 7.34/10.

What are the schools I should aim at? I want to do an mba focuses at strategy and operations.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:04 am
schitij wrote:Hi I just scored a 700 (Q46V40) on the GMAT.
Hi @schitij, Thanks for reaching out. I am familiar with BITS Pilani and it is a strong school. Interestingly enough, there are quite a few BITS Pilani folks at UNC Kenan-Flagler. I'm not gonna sugar coat this for you because I want to help you focus. That 700 in your very competitive pool is going to make the top level programs hard. Your work experience is solid and everything else looks strong but that GMAT is low for top levels. Even for top 20. But I would focus on some of the programs in top 15-30 and really do your research on why those programs can help you. All MBA programs will provide training to help you get to strategy consulting although for the top MBB firms it would help to be at M7. But you can still find a pathway to strategy consulting outside this path. I'd look at schools like Wash U, UCLA, Emory, Mendoza, and then if you want to stretch look at Kenan-Flagler, Michigan, UT Austin. You have a solid background for an MBA so research some of these schools and I think you will find a fit.
I am an engineer from BITS Pilani (a very highly reputed university in India). After graduation I worked with Oracle as an application developer for 2 years. Consequently I pursued a fellowship called the Young India Fellowship (200 selected individuals from all over India) and received a Post Graduate Diploma in Liberal Arts and Leadership. After the fellowship I chose to work for a mid size manufacturing firm (~USD 100m) in a role that comprises business development, operations and marketing. At this company I work closely with the senior management including the CEO, CFO and VP- Technology. My overall work experience currently is 3 years and would 4 years at the time I enter b school in 2017.
I have strong extra-circular activities. I have represented my school and college football teams at the highest levels and held positions of responsibilities in various departments in school and college. I graduated with a CGPA of 7.34/10.

What are the schools I should aim at? I want to do an mba focuses at strategy and operations.

Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members

by GyanOne » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:11 am
schitij wrote:Hi I just scored a 700 (Q46V40) on the GMAT.

Hi

- Which regions are you looking at? If you are looking at the US, then schools such as McCombs, KF, Emory, and Kelley may be fits.
- The Young India Fellowship definitely adds to your profile, but your work experience is disparate given the two stints you have had in manufacturing and software development. If your post-MBA goal is consulting, you should be able to connect the dots to that, given that you have spent just about an year in an operations role so far.
- If aiming at top US options, try and raise your GMAT score a bit. An increase of 20 points and more will help.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by 99Colleges: MBA Admission » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:14 am
Hi schitij,

Top-10 schools, no doubt, are great if you want to pursue a career in strategy consulting (I'm assuming this from your focus areas). McKinsey, Bain, and BCG (MBB) recruit heavily here. But other schools which keep floating in and out of top ten too are good if you want to recruit for MBB. Few such schools are Ross, Duke, Yale, Darden, UCLA, Cornell, and Haas.

And consulting firms outside MBB traditionally recruit in high numbers in schools such as University of Texas, Kelley, CMU, and Emory. (Top-10 schools, no doubt, are good even for non-MBB firms.)

You may get details about schools good in consulting and other industries here:

Shortlisting Schools: Industry-Wise
Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant
--------------------------------------
Consulting| Contact at [email protected] for your queries on MBA Admissions
--------------------------------------
And if you couldn't make it earlier, get a free ding analysis