• NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    Hundreds of Questions Highly Detailed Reporting Expert Explanations TAKE A FREE GMAT QUIZ
  • 7 CATs FREE!
    If you earn 100 Forum Points

Engage in the Beat The GMAT forums to earn
    100 points for $49 worth of Veritas practice GMATs FREE

Veritas Prep
    VERITAS PRACTICE GMAT EXAMS
    Earn 10 Points Per Post
    Earn 10 Points Per Thanks
    Earn 10 Points Per Upvote
    REDEEM NOW

Profile Evaluation

This topic has 2 expert replies and 1 member reply

Profile Evaluation

I have recently taken the GMAT and considering an MBA, but I'm curious as to whether I'd be competitive at some of the schools I have in mind. So I'm looking to get some feedback from the experts!

GMAT: 710/Q49/V38/AWA5.5/IR8

Current experience: 2 years @ assistant product manager at a financial institution but with a digital focus (Android Pay)
Prior experience: 3 years @ investment ops at a Swiss insurer. In addition to role, also managed company's internal efficiency improvement program and received regional award.

Undergrad: Bachelor (psych) @ top Australian uni (poor marks/pass average due to lack of direction on where I was headed at the time)
Postgrad: Master (finance) @ mid-tier Australian uni. Top 15% class. CFA Level 1 completed.

ECs: International volunteering helping poor communities (1 month at a time, been 3 times). Student mentoring through NPO. Leadership @ church and band. Also I'm not too sure this counts, but I took the Bloomberg Aptitude Test @ Bloomberg Institute and scored the 4th highest in APAC.

I'm very interested in the APAC region and because of my relatively older age, currently considering INSEAD. LBS is a backup, as are the two Aussie schools MBS/AGSM.

Would only consider the US schools if general feedback is that I'd be competitive at the M7 level.

Thank you!

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant Default Avatar
Posted:
171 messages
Followed by:
3 members
Upvotes:

Scoring 30 points or more above the GMAT average of your target schools would help mitigate concerns about your GPA, if these are at the lower end of the range. Your CFA level 1 & Masters in Finance should help demonstrate your aptitude, as well. Complementing these with work achievements, such as winning regional awards and other distinctions/promotion/bigger responsibilities should help distinguish you from applicants with similar backgrounds.

Strong EC especially with international dimensions and leadership responsibilities will help make your profile more attractive particularly for INSEAD. Also, you would need to clearly show how an MBA at your target program fits with your current profile towards your career goals.

Wish you all the best!

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Enroll in a Veritas Prep GMAT class completely for FREE. Wondering if a GMAT course is right for you? Attend the first class session of an actual GMAT course, either in-person or live online, and see for yourself why so many students choose to work with Veritas Prep. Find a class now!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Posted:
173 messages
Followed by:
3 members
Upvotes:
Hi,

I have recently taken the GMAT and considering an MBA, but I'm curious as to whether I'd be competitive at some of the schools I have in mind. So I'm looking to get some feedback from the experts!

GMAT: 710/Q49/V38/AWA5.5/IR8

Current experience: 2 years @ assistant product manager at a financial institution but with a digital focus (Android Pay)
Prior experience: 3 years @ investment ops at a Swiss insurer. In addition to role, also managed company's internal efficiency improvement program and received regional award.

Undergrad: Bachelor (psych) @ top Australian uni (poor marks/pass average due to lack of direction on where I was headed at the time)
Postgrad: Master (finance) @ mid-tier Australian uni. Top 15% class. CFA Level 1 completed.

ECs: International volunteering helping poor communities (1 month at a time, been 3 times). Student mentoring through NPO. Leadership @ church and band. Also I'm not too sure this counts, but I took the Bloomberg Aptitude Test @ Bloomberg Institute and scored the 4th highest in APAC.

I'm very interested in the APAC region and because of my relatively older age, currently considering INSEAD. LBS is a backup, as are the two Aussie schools MBS/AGSM.

Would only consider the US schools if general feedback is that I'd be competitive at the M7 level.

Thank you!
Thank you for your post. Your volunteer / extra-curricular experience is interesting. Have you taken time off work each of the three months you went to volunteer?

Your profile would be competitive at the schools you mentioned though it will not be a sure thing because of the lower GPA (it would be great to know just how low). The Aussie schools will be much more likely to happen.

I don't see you being very competitive at M7 with a 710 GMAT and a low GPA with your current work experience. As mentioned above, if you can raise the score closer to 750 then the story changes.

Good luck and reach out if you want any assistance with your applications. scott@personalmbacoach.com

Best,
Scott

www.personalmbacoach.com

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
2 messages

The volunteering experiences was a team effort and we've timed it over the Christmas period so we didn't need to take off that much time. We went to places like Calcutta, India to teach English to the local kids.

Undergrad GPA is very low unfortunately. I actually studied medicine for around ~2 years but I absolutely hated it (only really enrolled in it because I had no idea what I was doing with life and thought being a doctor as prestigious) so I ended up quitting half way through the course and graduated with a psych degree because this was the fastest way of quitting uni while keeping credit for what I've studied already. Although, one thing positive is that the GPA even at undergrad did improve from the 1st year through the 4th year (i.e. I actually started caring about the GPA in my 4th year, but it was already too late to fix the whole thing).

Understood about the GMAT and I probably expected this to be the case at the top US schools. I thought to myself that I could probably do better with a retake, as during my exam, there was this spectacular idiot in the room that literally spent half is time complaining very loudly about whatever problem it is that he was having. It was very distracting and I honestly thought about complaining myself, but given that I saw a 710 at the end (which isn't fantastic but nevertheless I thought was 'enough' for INSEAD), I decided not to make a big fuss.

I know the US schools do not recruit until later so if I do not get INSEAD for whatever reason, I do plan to re-take the GMAT to try and score a 750+.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
  • PrepScholar GMAT
    5 Day FREE Trial
    Study Smarter, Not Harder

Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

MORE DETAILS
    PrepScholar GMAT
  • Veritas Prep
    Free Veritas GMAT Class
    Experience Lesson 1 Live Free

Available with Beat the GMAT members only code