Profile Evaluation

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Profile Evaluation

by kartikc11 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:52 pm
Okay so here goes,

Work Experience:

- 3 Years currently in a consulting firm. One promotion (Total of 6 levels of hierarchy, I'm on the second)
- Like i said, I plan on applying by next year to the top 15

Academics:

- Gmat : 710 (Q48, v38, AWA 6, IR 8)
- Engineering - cleared with distinction (we don't have a GPA system - Mumbai University)
- Currently pursuing a Masters in English Literature through distance learning while I work. Will be done with the course by the time I take admission into a B school in 2016. This is purely a passion project

Extra Curriculars:

College: Events head for technical festivals. Head of Events for a social service initiative started by the government of India. Robotics etc...

Office:
-President of the corporate chapter of Toastmasters ( a global forum for public speaking and leadership). As president, conducted multiple office wide events. Currently creating a module to help the new guys get accustomed to our work culture.
- Part of the recruitment activities. Working on developing new case studies to better evaluate new candidates.
- Leading various other activities within various tracks in the office. Gained a lot of traction with various people in the firm.
- The module I mentioned in point 1 is actually a huge initiative and the management is very excited that we thought of this and are implementing it

Sports:

- Played district level tennis at some point but i don't think that will count here since that was when I was like 12!

There are a lot more minor points that I haven't included above. So there you go, my applications in a gist Smile

Please let me know. And thanks again for all your help!!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:16 pm
Hey there,

Thanks so much for posting and I'm terribly sorry for the delay. Was traveling on CS business and my inbox got a bit away from me. But now I'm back so let's get into things!

Even though you provided a ton of information there are two main things I see missing in your post. One, I don't really have a grasp on WHAT you do. Any particular functional or industry expertise? Led any teams? How do you rank compared to your peers? What has your professional impact / scope been?

Secondly - what do you want to do with your MBA? Why get it?

I'll tell you this - your internal initiatives are good and slightly above average. Your GMAT is pretty good but not amazing (so if you have time think about retaking it). I like your Masters in English Literature - quite an impressive pet project! So you have a lot of things moving in your direction but it would be great to learn more about the two most important!

Looking forward to your response!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

by kartikc11 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:12 am
Thanks for getting back to me!

So here are my answers

1) Essentially, we are a data consulting firm and we provide very specific services to our clients (includes designing compensation models for their sales reps, setting their goals for the coming year etc.). I have expertise in the healthcare sector (worked for it for over 2 years) and I am now focusing on all non healthcare: Finance, Transportation, Logistics etc. We call ourselves a sales and marketing consultancy. I started off as an associate, promoted to an associate consultant (7 rungs in our hierarchy). I am leading a team of around 6 people currently, not through direct projects but as a team of people who do similar work. I was also the president of a public speaking club within the office. Here i led a people of around 15 to achieve one of the most prestigious awards given by Toastmasters.
As for professional impact, I have designed an incentives plan for a finance firm, I am currently setting goals for a medical devices firm (a very very large firm at that), the communication module I mentioned will train all new employees, I am creating a new case study to improve our recruitment process (we have let quite a few slip through the cracks), I worked with a client for two months to help them resolve issues with their vendor (this was greatly appreciated by the client and my manager)

2) Why MBA? It's pretty straightforward:
a) I want to get into the marketing sector and B schools (especially in the US) have some really interesting marketing courses (Kellogg, Tuck, Ross etc...). I want to leverage the resources the b school has to offer primarily to get deeper into markets and expand my network. I already work as a marketing consultant, I want to now take that further in specific business domains
b) It is also a question of the next logical step for me. I did plan on pursuing an MS at one point, but realized that I want to get some real world experience and do an MBA. After researching the various programs, things that stand out are: business studies really interest me, the group of individuals that come to B school are aligned with my goals, I want to leverage my experience and shift careers to a more dynamic job (I currently sit at a desk almost all day), I want to start my own business at some point (after getting enough experience) and finally, I want to leverage the economy of a developed nation to help me move ahead and get a different perspective of how things are done.

I realize my GMAT is not the best, but I don't wish to take it again and want to strengthen my applications with everything else that I have

Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member

by CriticalSquareMBA » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:55 am
Hey there,

Thanks so much for the additional info! From a professional standpoint, it seems you're in a good place. From what you've written, I think you have at least one experience that ties against most of the key themes we look for. So you're covered. I also like your mix of client facing and internal work. Even things like getting the most coveted Toastmaster award is important because it sets you apart. Lots of folks do Toastmaster but you've taken that above and beyond.

From a goals perspective, be careful here. First off, try to avoid saying you want to start your own firm down the road. Not only does this raise flags, but it also creates a list of questions you aren't in a position to answer. You also don't have any start up experience. Make sure your short and longer term goals tie together. Additionally, make sure the advantages you're calling out actually exist. You aren't going to develop a deep network at business school. That shows an immediate cursory understanding of what an MBA offers. An MBA will give you a BROAD network. And a powerful one at that. But a DEEP network will begin to develop once you leave and enter your industry of choice.

You have all the moving pieces you need to build a story but ACTUALLY doing that will require a lot of research and introspection on your part. Stay away from sexy goals and buzz words.

I hope that helps and let me know if you have any questions or need a hand with anything!

Bhavik

Web | Facebook | Twitter

by kartikc11 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:12 am
wow, thanks a lot! I like the "sexy goals" comment you made and I understand that it may hamper my applications.

Thanks for taking the time to write this out! In terms of chances, where do you see a good chance emerging?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member

by CriticalSquareMBA » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:44 pm
You're very welcome! From a school selection standpoint - I'm a tad confused. You mentioned you're applying to the Top 15. Are you flexible in that? Or are you only interested on going if you go Top 15? If you're interested in Marketing, you've listed some good programs down there.

Based on your profile, M7 will be a stretch, 8 - 16 will be more in your wheelhouse, and below that you have some safer programs. But, that said, you should visit these two resources to figure out where to apply:

[How to Choose MBA Programs]
[Free, Detailed School Profiles]

Between those two, you should be in a better position to narrow down the list. I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Bhavik

Web | Facebook | Twitter

by kartikc11 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:49 am
So with all the research, I am looking at the top 20 as opposed to the top 15 because there are some great programs there. I will definitely take a look at the links now. The one school that has charmed me a lot has been Tuck, do you think that's within reach?

Again, I can't thank you enough :D

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member

by CriticalSquareMBA » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:21 am
You're very welcome. It's a stretch but give it a shot!

Web | Facebook | Twitter

by kartikc11 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:47 pm
thanks, I loved the resources you sent over, really helpful :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member

by CriticalSquareMBA » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:17 am
Awesome - glad you found them useful!

Web | Facebook | Twitter