Profile Evaluation

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Profile Evaluation

by ABONAROLL » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:48 pm
<>
Last edited by ABONAROLL on Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:32 am
Hi abonaroll,

Welcome to our corner of the internet! Thanks for your post. You gave a lot of important information but - I'm a bit greedy. You'll see I've asked for more in some places. But this should get the conversation going and that's the point. So, let's see what we're working with here...

Academics

I like how you have a business background - that's a bit different and sets you up for a lot of the basics. However, the fact that you have a 3 year degree isn't going to be loved by some programs. For example, Haas doesn't like them. Also, it seems you have a really strong GPA but give me the unconverted value please (%). Does that make you 1st? Distinction? Upper 2nd? What was your rank? How big was your graduating class? Where did you go for school, too?

From a GMAT perspective, you're a bit below the average for your applicant pool but you're in play for most of the top programs. It's a strong score. What was your split? Retaking it probably isn't necessary but, if you have the time (which you're running out of for R1 deadlines), then retake it if you think you can break a 750. Otherwise, it isn't necessary, won't help, and might look a little bad to the adcom.

Professional Experiences

This is what will carry your application and set you apart from the rest of the folks in your applicant pool. I'm really like your progression. You have a lot of the key business soft and hard skills covered during your stint in professional services. Then you have a lot of hands on, operational themes covered during your time with the start up. And, finally, you have a solid position with a hedge fund. You've also established a nice trajectory for the CPG / Food / Retail storyline. However, it would be great to get into the details. What did you DO at the US-based firm? How'd you perform relative to your peer set? At the start up, what kind of impact did you have? For the hedge fund, what have you done so far and what's coming up this year? You have a lot of great experiences on paper, but now let's figure out what you've DONE!

Involvement

You have two things I really like here. One, you're consulting on the side. Love that. I'd like to hear more about what kind of consulting, how long, and what you've been able to accomplish. Secondly, I like your meditation activities. That's really zen! And you're clearly very serious about it - your traveling to teach it is a testament to that. Your other stuff like coaching cricket or traveling / eating are great to mention, but not what'll set you apart. It's the other stuff I like!

Goals

Short term wise, you need to pick a story line. You can't go in with the strategy consulting story AND the VC / startup story. Also, strategy consulting won't help you figure out how to establish a company. Not to mention, you are hired as a generalist so there's not guarantee you'd even be in CPG. Something to keep in mind. Long term wise your goals make sense. I like the common story theme about retail / food / CPG.

Schools

Firstly, let's answer your top 5 question. You should look at Kellogg and Booth. Kellogg for obvious reasons and Booth because that's a great brand to open up VC doors. I think H/S/W are too far in the stretch range to be worth your time (sorry!). Besides, both Kellogg and Booth accept 3 year degrees, so that's a plus! As you go into the rest of the top 20 (you should broaden it a bit into the 15 - 20 range), it'd help to figure out what your goals really are. If it's consulting, then just get into the best school you can. But if it's VC or entrepreneurship, that's a whole different discussion!

I hope this helps and, more importantly, kicks off the conversation. I've asked some questions here and more info would be great!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

by ABONAROLL » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:19 am
<>
Last edited by ABONAROLL on Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member

by CriticalSquareMBA » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:34 am
Wow, that's a TON of info - super helpful! Ok, so you clearly perform well - there's no doubt about that. If your goal, however, is strategy consulting, then you're effectively looking at the top 16/20. That's pretty much it. It's a name game for strategy consulting and so you need to get into the best possible program you can that can also help you get the job you're looking for.

Like I said, the top 3 are pretty much going to be stretches for you. I'd say pick a couple from the 4 - 10 range (realistic stretches), and then 3 - 4 from the 10 - 20 range. However, which of these schools might be right for you is something you're going to have to think about. We have a great page dedicated to some of the things you should consider when choosing programs. You can find it [here]. I'd suggest giving that a good read. You can also learn more about the programs themselves through our [school profiles].

I hope that helps and good luck! If you need a hand through the process, don't hesitate to reach out to us. We'd love to partner with you through the process!

Bhavik

Web | Facebook | Twitter

by ABONAROLL » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:41 am
Thanks Bhavik! Your analysis was very helpful. Also, the school profile and the criteria for shortlisting schools on your website is precious information. It took me a lot of time to figure all this out on my own.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member

by CriticalSquareMBA » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:48 am
You are very welcome! I'm glad I could help - and thanks for the kind words about the info on our website!

Good luck!

Bhavik

Web | Facebook | Twitter