Profile Evaluation

Launched January 9, 2010
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

Profile Evaluation

by NextGreatLeader » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:31 pm
Hi, I'd love your feedback on my profile and any insight on the schools at which I'll be a competitive applicant.

Will have 4 years work experience at matriculation
3.0 GPA from Ivy League school
GMAT 730 (Q44, V46)
Under-represented minority, female

Currently work at intersection of business and education and hope to stay in field long-term. Have had steady increases in responsibility and one promotion thus far.

Internships throughout college and some other minor extracurricular activities.
Since graduating from undergrad, I've spent time volunteering, but no major activities.

Do you think I'll be a competitive applicant at any of the following schools?:
- HBS, Kellogg, Tuck, Yale

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:1 members

by CourtneyJane@VeritasPrep » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:53 pm
NextGreatLeader-

To really answer your question, I would need more information. But, from what you have listed, my first question is "what makes you the NextGreatLeader?" Identify how you have been a great leader in undergrad and since graduating for the past 3-4 years.

To be a competitive applicant I would want to see that you have done something very unique at the intersection of business and education, something that adds perspective to the b-school classroom and will add-value to your classmates. I want to see that you have been a leader, an innovator, someone who initiates; you want to demonstrate that you have proven to be a valuable asset in your field and that you are going on to do and be something of note. You need to demonstrate what makes you outstanding, what differentiates you from every other candidate applying?

Also, please answer "Why an MBA??; "Why an MBA Now?"; "Why an MBA at target school?" The AdCom wants to understand why you need this MBA, now, from their school, to reach your career aspirations?

As well, I would get hopping on some extracurriculars of value. Jump in as a leader in something (two things) that you find interesting, and work to lead change.

Also, recommendations, do you have people who will write outstanding recommendations for you? The kind that support ath you are an exemplary candidate to a school like HBS/Kellog/Tuck/Yale.

I think your first step is to think through all of the above and start thinking about how you can write an application that supports that you are outstanding.

Best of Luck.
Courtney Jane
Veritas Prep