Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

Profile Evaluation

by niksworth » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:13 am
Hi, here's another profile evaluation request -

750 GMAT (Q-50, V-41, AWA - 6.0)

GPA - 8.2/10 (I got this converted at WES, which said the the equivalent US GPA would be 3.98 - something that I found unbelievable!)

Bachelor's - Metallurgical and Materials Engineering from IIT

5 years of work-ex (at matriculation) at one of India's largest integrated steel companies

Been one of the best performing employees of the company in the last four years (reflected in annual ratings)

Have worked in various job profiles including technical (process control and analysis, quality trouble-shooting, six sigma), operation strategy implementation, and corporate planning (Promoted from one to the other based on competency and performance)

Was handpicked to work directly with CEO of the company (will get his recommendation) and have been fortunate to see how the whole business works from close quarters.

Extra curriculars - Number of leadership positions in college (Head of Design in college's yearly technical festival, Captain of Fine Arts and Ad Design teams among others), General Secretary of the local chapter of alumni association

Short term goal - Move into strategy consulting with a focus on improving manufacturing capabilites of organizations from emerging markets

Long term goal - Strategy / Leadership role in a mid size manufacturing company in a developing market with an aim to transform it to an industry leader

Given my experience, I believe I can bring in excellent diversity and interesting insights into the classroom on the workings of emerging market manufacturing firms, though I wonder whether people would be interested in such a traditional field.

Concerns - My firm is NOT a feeder to US B-Schools (in fact I doubt if anyone has ever applied to a top MBA program from my firm. I think this is because of the nature of the industry more than anything else). Can I turn this into a strength?

27-year-old Indian male

Target Schools - HBS/Wharton/Tuck/Kellogg/Booth
scio me nihil scire

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:4 members

by mbaMissionSusanK » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:54 pm
Hi, Niksworth,

Thanks for your post. Your academics are in line with your target programs. From what you described, you should have good work experience to draw from a variety of functional areas. Make sure you demonstrate your leadership abilities, as well as your softer skills that have made you so successful at this company. Coming from manufacturing, you can differentiate yourself from others in more common fields, but you need to show how this experience is transferable and what unique perspective you bring to the business school community. In terms of your future career goals, make sure that there is flow from where you are now. You will need to be clear why you want to move from your current company and go in this direction. For extra-curriculars, focus on ones that are within 3 years of when you are applying.

Good luck,
Susan

Susan Kaplan
Senior Consultant
mbaMission
646-485-8844

Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: www.mbamission.com/consult.php