profile evaluation reuest

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

profile evaluation reuest

by navjotk » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:51 pm
Hello,
I don't know if I can ask this here but here goes. I am actually thinking
about applying for Masters in accounting at San Jose State University.
I will be graduating from UC Berkeley Class of 2009 with approximately a GPA of 3.0 and My GMAT score right now is 650. I have worked all 4
years of college so I have limited amount of extracurriculars. I am
actively only part of one campus organization which is religious. I will take Intermediary Financial accounting next semester as well.
What do you guys think my chances are for this program?
Also, do you think it is worth it for me to retake the GMAT (the application is not due till March).
Thank you
-Navjot

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Re: profile evaluation reuest

by musicious » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:03 pm
navjotk wrote:Hello,
I don't know if I can ask this here but here goes. I am actually thinking
about applying for Masters in accounting at San Jose State University.
I will be graduating from UC Berkeley Class of 2009 with approximately a GPA of 3.0 and My GMAT score right now is 650. I have worked all 4
years of college so I have limited amount of extracurriculars. I am
actively only part of one campus organization which is religious. I will take Intermediary Financial accounting next semester as well.
What do you guys think my chances are for this program?
Also, do you think it is worth it for me to retake the GMAT (the application is not due till March).
Thank you
-Navjot
I think you would be competitive. However, on their website, they mention a few things that are required (https://www.cob.sjsu.edu/acct&fin/msa/index.htm). Since you are just now taking Intermediary Financial Accounting I assume you aren't majoring in Accounting. At SJSU that is what they require (they only accept non-accounting majors) but since you have taken a few courses you could probably waiver out of the beginning classes.

Another thing is for the GMAT you need to be above the 50th percentile on both sections. I would assume that you do but you should check. Also, their minimum is 500 and according to USNews their graduate program had an average GMAT of 567 last year. Your score of 650 should make up for a slight deficiency of GPA.

As for the GPA, the minimum requirement of 3.0 is specifically for the last 60 semester hours (about 2 years). Therefore, I hope you did better in your last 2 years than the first 2 or you won't be submitted, regardless of the decent GMAT score.