Profile Evaluation - Research heavy profile 780 GMAT

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi! I would really appreciate a profile evaluation, and any suggestions about how I can improve my application.

Right now I'm 24 (graduated from college in 2014) and I'm targeting applying first round in 2017. Below are my vital stats. As a note my current job will not afford me any direct management experience (it is rare for PhD's to get a report before 5 years here).

Target Schools: MIT, Haas, HBS, GSB, INSEAD
GMAT: 780 (50Q, 48V)
GPA: 3.58
Bachelors in Chemistry at BU with a large amount of graduate work.
Work Experience: 2 years at Vertex Pharma (a medium sized biotech/pharma company) in medicinal chemistry research (read drug discovery) (2 promotions with a 3rd likely this December)
Two publications as the main author in major research journals and inventor on a patent (not sure if anyone cares)
Internships at a major oil services firm for two summers in R&D.

Extracurricular activities: Tutored organic chemistry during college
Research assistant in an organic chemistry research group during college (2.5
years 20+ hrs a week) where I co-led a project where I was responsible
for training and managing other undergrads (2).
20+ MOOCs in CS/Math/Business (Wharton Coursera Foundations series)
Teaching myself German (Somewhere around B1 or B2 level proficiency)
Applying to the GT Online Master in Computer Science
Marathons (semi-competitive sub-3 hours)

Volunteering: Mentoring urban high school students entering science fairs (2 years)
Volunteer at various charity races and run with homeless bostonians.

Goals:
Start company at intersection of pharma and chemistry to further
automate the drug development process (perhaps after a few years in
consulting).

I would really appreciate any feedback! Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:06 pm
Wow -- you certainly have some impressive stuff here! Top business schools will be attracted to your high levels of achievement and your clear analytical power. You guessed correctly that an absence of managerial experience could be a drawback, but that's something you can work on in a community service role. Mentoring one-on-one is commendable, but team leadership would be even better, so one of the things you can be doing with this year is taking a leadership role in one of the community service organizations you volunteer with now. The bigger that role, and the more it harnesses talents that somehow connect to your long-term career vision, the better.

Another missing component for me here is international exposure. Have you studied or lived overseas? Does your company have teams working in other countries, with whom you collaborate? If this is a weak link, you might see if there is anything you can do at this point to strengthen it.

But this is just nitpicking; I'm looking for any weak areas so that you can use the time between now and fall 2017 productively. You've got tremendous achievement already, and you should do very well with the schools on your list.

Good luck!
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by zgd3200 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:41 pm
Thanks so much for the feedback! Since I wrote this I have tried to strengthen my leadership skills by taking up a teaching position part time. I am teaching AP Computer Science at a charter school in Boston, with a large number of minority and disadvantaged children. I am part of a group of 5 other teachers so there is a high level of communication and collaboration required (Requires around 10-15 hours a week). Will this experience move the needle as far as my leadership experience? I think I can make this consistent with the rest of my profile. I also may have the opportunity to get an intern. Would this make any significant different (since it is one-on-one mentoring)?

As far as international exposure, I have not managed to live or study oversees (my family didn't have the money). We do have teams oversees and there is a small amount of collaboration between the sites, but nothing significant. At my site I would say that about 1/2 of the chemists are from outside the US and I work very closely with many of them (my first manager is an immigrant). I also may be able to talk my way into a stint (4 weeks) working at one of the other sites, but this is a bit of a long shot and would happen around September next year. Probably irrelevant, but my current girlfriend is an immigrant from China (in the process of naturalizing).

Thanks again!
Zach

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:55 am
Every step you take to increase your leadership and clarify your international exposure will help tilt the needle, yes. Teaching groups, like any other "presentation", is a leadership marker; collaborating with offshore teams, especially when you have to do manage video-conferencing or similar communication/technology/time zone challenges, will also add value here.

It sounds like you're focused in the right direction. Good luck!

Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me