Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Profile evaluation Requested

by singh.p.vivek » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:08 am
My detailed profile is as follows :

Name : Vivek Pratap Singh
Nationality : Indian
GMAT : 700 ( Planning to retake in coming months)
Application Cycle : Planning to apply for 2015 admissions.

Undergrad :->2010 -> Bachelors in Technology ( Computer Science) from a regional engineering college ( Falls under top 15 in India) with 71 % marks. University don't grant GPA, but highest score in my university was 80%.

-> Chairman for IEEE and CSI in successive years .
-> Headed Student placement committee.

Work Experience

2010-2012 :

Worked with Accenture as software engineer.
2 promotions in 2 years, awarded best rating one can achieve in Accenture.
Lead the CSR initiative.
Corporate team player for table tennis & badminton.
Worked over domestic and international clients - Sales, Planning & Implementation.

2012- till date

Working with Ernst & Young as Consultant.
Current role as Project Manager for largest FMCG firm.
Leading a team of 15+ people.
Current roles involves Sales, Design & Implementation.
Member of corporate team for table tennis & Badminton.
Member of CSR initiative.
In line for 4th promotion in 4th year.

Additionally my family runs an NGO & currently employs 100+ people, take sabbaticals and contribute as much as I can.

Post MBA Goals -> Short Team : Strategy consulting firm in Social enterprises domain.
Long Term -> Join my family NGO & take it global.

Inclination Towards Colleges -> Harvard, Hass, Yale, Kellogg & Booth .(Stretch)
Tuck, Duke & Darden
Also, considering European programs ( please suggest)

Please evaluate my profile and suggest scope of improvements, ideal colleges & how should I go about applying for programs starting in 2015.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:10 members

by apphelp » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:59 am
Hi Vivek,

Your profile has got elements which B schools will appreciate. Both Accenture and EnY are good brands. Project mgmt, client interaction, team lead experience will all help if used well in essays.

NGO experience will help if you can line out what and how much you contribute.

Consulting will be a natural career progression.

GMAT score is a bit average though. So, we would not recommend HBS, Booth and Kellogg. At 700 you can look at Duke, Darden, Yale. At 720+ you can add Tuck, Booth, Haas and maybe Kellogg to the list. We would still say HBS will be tough.

You can consider Said, Judge, HEC in Europe and may be ISB ( in case you are open to India).

Hope this helps.

Apphelp Team
Apphelp : India's # 1 MBA admissions consultancy

Confused about schools? Need help with Essay Review? Need mock interviews?
All these questions have a single answer : APPHELP (apphelp.co.in)
Phone: +91 9871354580
Blog: https://www.blog.apphelp.co.in

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:770

by GeneralEducation » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:15 am
Hi Vivek,

You have decent profile with good GMAT and work experience. List of shortlisted schools looks realistic but you need to really work hard on your applications for Harvard, Booth and Hass as these B-Schools are very selective. Add few more safe schools to that list like Ross, Cornell, Tepper, UNC Kenan Flagler, Emory, Kelley or you can consider few more schools in top 20 range. You need to start early as some of the B-Schools essays are already announced. For knowing your Chances for top B-Schools visit https://goo.gl/11s5zu

Regards,
Manish
singh.p.vivek wrote:My detailed profile is as follows :

Name : Vivek Pratap Singh
Nationality : Indian
GMAT : 700 ( Planning to retake in coming months)
Application Cycle : Planning to apply for 2015 admissions.

Undergrad :->2010 -> Bachelors in Technology ( Computer Science) from a regional engineering college ( Falls under top 15 in India) with 71 % marks. University don't grant GPA, but highest score in my university was 80%.

-> Chairman for IEEE and CSI in successive years .
-> Headed Student placement committee.

Work Experience

2010-2012 :

Worked with Accenture as software engineer.
2 promotions in 2 years, awarded best rating one can achieve in Accenture.
Lead the CSR initiative.
Corporate team player for table tennis & badminton.
Worked over domestic and international clients - Sales, Planning & Implementation.

2012- till date

Working with Ernst & Young as Consultant.
Current role as Project Manager for largest FMCG firm.
Leading a team of 15+ people.
Current roles involves Sales, Design & Implementation.
Member of corporate team for table tennis & Badminton.
Member of CSR initiative.
In line for 4th promotion in 4th year.

Additionally my family runs an NGO & currently employs 100+ people, take sabbaticals and contribute as much as I can.

Post MBA Goals -> Short Team : Strategy consulting firm in Social enterprises domain.
Long Term -> Join my family NGO & take it global.

Inclination Towards Colleges -> Harvard, Hass, Yale, Kellogg & Booth .(Stretch)
Tuck, Duke & Darden
Also, considering European programs ( please suggest)

Please evaluate my profile and suggest scope of improvements, ideal colleges & how should I go about applying for programs starting in 2015.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:42 am
Hey there,

Love the info - makes my job a lot easier! So, let's dig in!

Academics

You went to a good school but it isn't an IIT or NIT. That could close some doors (e.g. Harvard) but it isn't definitive. Just something to note. But you did well in a difficult major - 71% should be 1st class, right? Doubt it's distinction. But still good job! Your GMAT is a good anchor in that it starts with a "7". That's a great start. I'm glad you're planning on retaking it because it's below average for most of the programs you've listed and that's just not a position you want to be in.

Professional

This is the real strength of your profile. When it comes to being an applicant, you can either be different or the best. Most people can't do both. In your case, you're not different. But you're clearly very good at what you do. So you graduated and went into software engineering at Accenture. Blue chip? Yup. Involved in the firm? Yup. Diverse client base? Check. But what's best here is that you were rated as highly as possible. That's critical.

Then you went to E&Y. I like how you made a move to the consulting side. Another big name? Yup. Leadership? Yup. And even more promotions? Double check. Your trajectory is awesome.

Involvement

Hmm, it's hard to tell how impactful this part is. Clearly the NGO is huge - but what do you exactly do? I do like, however, that you take sabbaticals. Not only does that show commitment, but they also haven't impacted your performance. Great job! But definitely need more info here. Also, your CSR involvement at Accenture and E&Y count here so it'd be good to hear more about those things as well.

Goals

They make sense. Realistic but ambitious. They are, however, rather specific. However, I like them. Something to keep in mind - when you have socially geared goals, schools are very keen on making sure you have what it takes. They don't like making too much of their class "social" because it hits rankings on the exit side. Something to keep in mind.

Schools

I think Haas and Yale both make great sense. I think Harvard and Kellogg do too. However, those are both going to be real stretches. But I think you should apply to at least 1 of them. Maybe Kellogg? Booth I think you should cut out. Tuck and Duke are good options. I'd be interested in hearing your justification behind Darden? You should also seriously consider Ross. If you're interested in international, look at Oxford - they have a new center (Skoll Center) that's new but making big waves.

I hope this was helpful! If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to post them. If you want to talk about your profile in detail, sign up for a [Free Consultation] with us!

Good luck!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:35 members

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:11 pm
Vivek,
Here are my quick thoughts:
(1) GMAT as you know is on the lower end of average GMAT score to the target schools you are considering.
(2) Was your 71% First or First Distinction?
(3) CSR Initiative is an excellent role - you would obviously want to highlight, though, what you did in that role.
(4) How much international exposure have you had at Accenture and Ernst & Young? Even if you have not been staffed out of India you must have had some international clients given the company.
(5) Family NGO could be key as well.
(6) With Ernst & Young are you still on the IT side or is the Sales, Design and Implementation on the business side. It could actually be either.

Considering your goals you should definitely consider adding Columbia, Ross, NYU Stern, UCLA Anderson and Cornell as well as LBS and INSEAD to your list. You are trying to gain acceptance to schools where many top consulting companies recruit. Many of these schools are also leaders in social enterprise or sustainability.

Here are some links that will help you:
Columbia Social Enterprise - https://www8.gsb.columbia.edu/socialenterprise/
NYU Stern Social Enterprise - https://nyustern.campusgroups.com/sea/wh ... nterprise/
Cornell Center for Sustainable Global Enterprise - https://nyustern.campusgroups.com/sea/wh ... nterprise/
Cornell also has an Emerging Markets Initiative - https://www.johnson.cornell.edu/EMI.aspx - so Cornell might be attractive to both your short and long term goals.
Michigan Ross Social Impact - https://www.bus.umich.edu/Admissions/Mba ... Impact.htm
UCLA Anderson Leaders in Sustainability Certificate Program - https://www.anderson.ucla.edu/programs-a ... ainability
INSEAD Social Entrepreneurship - https://www.insead.edu/facultyresearch/c ... /index.cfm
LBS Social Entrepreneurship - https://www.london.edu/facultyandresearc ... rship.html

I realize based upon your experience and goals you are looking for social enterprise more than sustainability or social entrepreneurship but some of these links will lead you further in your research.

Good luck,
Michael Cohan
MBAPrepAdvantage Founder & AIGAC Board Director
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

Please thank and/or like individual posts.

Follow Michael Cohan on Image Image and BeattheGMAT.
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on Image Image Image.

For a free assessment email [email protected] your target schools, goals, resume, GPA and GMAT or fill out our Free MBA Admissions Consultation Form.