Profile evaluation request!

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile evaluation request!

by Yolonator » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:54 am
Hello, I am a 25 year old male that is not part of a underrepresented minority group.

I recently took the GMAT and scored a 720 on my first attempt. My undergrad GPA at a non-prestigious public university is 2.7 where I double majored in political science and economics. I am a current law school student also hovering around 2.7 gpa in my last year of law school (it's ranked but again, not prestigious). Without going into too much detail, the reason I want to get an MBA is because there is a emerging industry that I want to get into where there are almost no specific laws and regulations and my ultimate goal is to open a consulting firm.

I have about a year and a half of part time experience but no full time work experience. And nothing in a managerial position. However, I truly believe this industry is growing so fast that if I wait an extra year or two, that the opportunities may be gone by the time I graduate with an MBA.

What are my chances with top business schools?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:50 am
Frankly, that GPA could be a deal-breaker for you. There are no top-tier business schools who typically accept applicants with a 2.7 GPA and no work experience. So where you go from here depends on how much risk you want to take on: if you apply to top-ten schools such ash HBS or Stanford, your statistical chances are low, but you might trust yourself to be able to talk your way in. Somebody does, why shouldn't it be you?
On the other hand, if you want to be sure you're getting the MBA you need, you have two options: one is to take the time to do something about those grades, whether it means doing a re-set on your Law studies or taking other coursework. Get your numbers, at least in your last semesters, up to a place that would at least put you on the dartboard for your chosen schools.
Another option is to target schools that specialize in entrepreneurship, such as Babson, which has a stellar reputation for producing hands-on entrepreneurs and has lower GPA expectations. The Babson MBA would get you into your chosen field a lot faster.

Good luck!
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me