Profile evaluation request

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile evaluation request

by zesty » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:04 pm
Hi there,

I was hoping to get a profile evaluation to see how realistic my chances are at various tier schools globally.

My profile:
- Asian-Canadian, male, 27
- GMAT: 700 (49Q/37V) AWA 6.0
- Work exp: 2 yrs public accounting (audit/tax), 2 years corporate governance at investment management firm
- Business undergrad in Canada, GPA approx. 2.95
- Strong extracurriculars during undergrad, minimal volunteer work post-university

My target schools:
- Non-US: Oxford, Cambridge, Manchester, IESE, ESADE, HKUST
- US: Mid-tier Top 15 schools (NYU, Anderson, Ross, Darden, Cornell, Berkeley)
- US: Lower-tier Top 20-30 schools (McCombs, UNC, Tepper, USC, Georgetown)

Please advise - I know my GPA is low, but really not sure where I would stand and whether I should set my expectations lower/more realistically. Thank you!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:10 members

by myEssayReview » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:08 pm
Hi Zesty,
Four years of work experience is fine; however, the accomplishments you have made during those years will play a key role in determining your chances of success.

Your GMAT is good, though not excellent.

You have strong extracurricular experience, and some community work experience as well which can be highlighted in your essays.

The only weak area in your profile , as you are aware , is your GPA which you will need to justify/ explain in your optional essay ,if there were extenuating circumstances that were responsible for your average performance.

Your chances of success will be determined by how well your candidacy is presented in your essays and recommendations letters, and resume.

How many schools you are planning to apply to? I would suggest do not apply in more than 5-6 schools .If you give yourself enough time to present your case effectively in your application, no one can stop you from being successful in your target mid-tier schools.

Best of luck with your application.

If you find my post helpful, please let me know by pushing the thank button.

You may also email me at [email protected]