Profile evaluation please

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Profile evaluation please

by njdude2012 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:47 pm
deleted
Last edited by njdude2012 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:28 members

by Heidi Granner » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:04 pm
Hi njdude2012,

Thanks for your post.

Your academics appear to be in solid shape for the schools you mention. Congrats on pulling your Quant and Verbal score up above the 80% mark. The only challenge from your academics will be working to distinguish yourself given engineering is a common background for MBA applicants.

Your work experience appears to show a positive career progression, which will be an asset. And being able to speak to people management responsibilities will help differentiate yourself from other engineers. Working in the 'back office' function of a bank will be less of an asset to your application, but again you can focus on the level of responsibility you have been able to gain.

Your personal interests will be a great asset to your application, especially being able to show impact through your guitar teaching, forming a photography firm, and receiving a photography award. The piece missing from your extracurricular activities is whether you had any leadership roles while you were in college - this is an important part of the application and should be included if so.

Based on the information you have provided, it appears you will be competitive at the schools that you list but I do think the list is overall quite aggressive. Your average GMAT is below the average for all of the schools, you will be in an 'over-subsribed' pool of applicants from India with an engineering degree, and you will be applying as an 'older' applicant. I would suggest including a couple schools I would define as 'targets' for your profile such as Fuqua, Ross, Darden, and Anderson - all of which have strong track records of sending their students into top consulting firms. From the schools that you listed, I suggest you target Booth (highest acceptance rate of the schools on your list, 28% of class goes into consulting). Kellogg is another school to consider - they send the highest proportion of their class into consulting and have a higher acceptance rate among the top 10 schools.

Hope that helps. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] for a free detailed profile evaluation.

Best,
Heidi

Heidi Granner
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]