Profile Evaluation Needed

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation Needed

by sliceoflife13 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:04 am
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forums and would like some feedback on my chances at elite MBA programs.

Age: 24 year old Indian - American (Did my masters part time to gain work experience)

Undergrad: B.S in Biomedical Engineering from a relatively unknown state school (GPA: 3.2)
Grad: M.S. in Industrial Engineering from Purdue U - Part time & Distance Learning (GPA: 3.75)

GMAT (Yet to take): Expected score 710

Experience: 31 Months at Major Defense contractor (think SAIC, Raytheon, BAE) and 9 months (so far) at Booz Allen.

Extracurricular: President of Biomedical Society in undergrad, President of a club at my 1st job, Adjust instructor (part time) at a University

Schools of Interest: MIT, Duke, Northwestern and Berkley

Specific Questions:
- Is my work experience sufficient?
- Does being an Indian - American (Engineer) affect my chances negatively?
- Is my undergrad GPA of concern?
- Is my age of concern?
- What steps should I take to improve my chances?

Thanks for your feedback!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Mansie Dewan Consulting » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:23 am
sliceoflife13 wrote:Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forums and would like some feedback on my chances at elite MBA programs.

Age: 24 year old Indian - American (Did my masters part time to gain work experience)

Undergrad: B.S in Biomedical Engineering from a relatively unknown state school (GPA: 3.2)
Grad: M.S. in Industrial Engineering from Purdue U - Part time & Distance Learning (GPA: 3.75)

GMAT (Yet to take): Expected score 710

Experience: 31 Months at Major Defense contractor (think SAIC, Raytheon, BAE) and 9 months (so far) at Booz Allen.

Extracurricular: President of Biomedical Society in undergrad, President of a club at my 1st job, Adjust instructor (part time) at a University

Schools of Interest: MIT, Duke, Northwestern and Berkley

Specific Questions:
- Is my work experience sufficient?
- Does being an Indian - American (Engineer) affect my chances negatively?
- Is my undergrad GPA of concern?
- Is my age of concern?
- What steps should I take to improve my chances?

Thanks for your feedback!

Hi There!

Your distinct profile should work to your advantage provided you are clear in your thought process regarding why you want an MBA and how the mentioned schools are great FIT programmes for you. Becuase of slighly lesser than average work experience and age, you will need to demonstrate maturity and leadership and management potential through your applications. That said, the GMAT is also a very critical component of the entire evaluation criteria and you should target a bit higher than a 710. If you feel you can stretch it closer to 750 with a bit more practice, you should- even if it means moving the applications to R2. Your being an Indian American will NOT work to your disadvantage and infact you might have some great cultural diversity experiences to share with the adcoms. About your UG GPA- its been compensated to some extent by your PG performance and a higher GMAT score will have the adcoms viewing your profile more optimistically! Good Luck for the GMAT and God Bless!!
Mansie Dewan