Profile Evaluation: Low GPA

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Profile Evaluation: Low GPA

by GoBruins » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:48 pm
Thank You in Advance,

I would like your expertise as to what schools I have a legitimate shot to apply to.

BIO:
Work: Mechanical Engineer for 2 year (3 by the time I apply) at Aerospace/Defense company. Promoted once (level change from 1 to 2)
GMAT: 760 (50Q/44V)
Education: Undergrad UCLA Engineer 2.5 GPA, currently first quarter of MS Engineering UCLA (Should be able to get 3.5-3.75)

Now the question lies is how much would my having a masters and my master's GPA would be able to counter my low undergrad GPA. i understand there isn't a conversion scale, but would it (greatly, slightly, or not help) my cause.

Also I will be applying for Masters after only 4 classes if I apply for '09, would it be better advised to finish masters program recieve all 9 grades and apply for '10?

I also lack any true management experience and workout of the normal realm of business or consulting, how much is that going to hurt me? In the company structure, all leads are 15+ years of experience, so there isn't much oppertunity.

So where realisticly would I fit in, here are my list of schools I am concidering applying to.

U Penn,
Chicago,
Northwestern,
Harvard,
U of Michigan,
Stanford,
UC Berkeley,
UCLA Full-time,
UCLA Part-time,
USC Part-time,
UCI Part-time,
Pepperdine Part-time.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Amy » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:04 pm
Hi GoBruins,

Wow, that's a wide range of schools! I don't imagine you will have any problem gaining admission to at least one of these: UCLA Part-time, USC Part-time, UCI Part-time, Pepperdine Part-time.

For these schools: U Penn, Chicago, Northwestern, Harvard, U of Michigan, Stanford, UC Berkeley the competition is a bit stiffer. Your GMAT is fantastic, and if you are able to do very well in your grad program it could mitigate some concerns about your academic potential. You will want to write an optional essay explaining what happened in undergrad, since you clearly weren't performing to your full potential.

As for a lack of management experience - I think you will want to develop your opportunities to lead without authority, either at work or outside of work. Many MBA applicants don't have management experience in the strict sense of the word, however, it's important to demonstrate proven leadership skills and potential.

Good luck!

Amy
Amy
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting