Profile Evaluation ( Low GPA )

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation ( Low GPA )

by mystiquethinker » Wed May 07, 2014 10:47 am
Hi Guys

I am requesting to kindly evaluate my profile to know where i can apply and how can i improve my profile

I am 26 years old Indian Male.

My Academics are
SSC- 58%
HSC-57%
Reason of getting lower percentage in SSC & HSC was that i was not focused.

B.Tech (Electronics & Instrumentation)- 62%. Completed my engineering from well known Uttar Pradesh Technical University (UPTU). Highest percentage in my class was 77% and the batch size was of 56 students.

Work Experience- Working with one of the leading Transformer Manufacturers in India as a Engineer in Marketing from past 29 months.

Marketing (29 Months)- During my job i have developed a large client base for my organization. Went for negotiation to clients and also converted them into order. Kept an eagles eye on our competitors & had done lot of Market Research. Regularly providing new project information to my organization.

GMAT- I will appear for GMAT in October 2014 and will apply for fall 2015. I am targeting 730+ in GMAT

Extra-Curricular :
Together with my friend i had started an coaching institute where we train students for engineering entrance examination and i teach Physics & Maths.

Participated in National Level Conference on Environmental Science during my college days.

Also learning French Language( i am not going to get any certificate for this )

MBA Program i am interested is ONE YEAR MBA PROGRAM

Target colleges- ISB, Emory, HEC, Kellogg apart from these i need a suggestion from you about colleges.

Post MBA goals - To work in Marketing/Strategy & later will expand and open more branches of my coaching institute

Kindly let me know where i can improve myself and also let me know about my goals whether it is in sync with my MBA specialization.

Regards
Shantanu Mukherjee

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Eliot » Fri May 16, 2014 11:39 am
Hello Shantanu,

Thank you for your post!

One thing you will want to consider in choosing a one-year MBA over a two-year MBA program is the lack of a summer internship. These can be immensely beneficial in forging contacts and relationships with your potential post-MBA employers. So, in terms of improving your candidacy, you will need a richer, more detailed plan for your goals; MBA programs will be concerned about post-MBA job placement stats, so the greater sense of security and certainty you can convey, the better.
Also, given that you already have experience in marketing, you will need to hammer out a richer 'why MBA' case; you mention an MBA specialization, but I did not see specific tracks/skills. Given your long-term interest in entrepreneurship, you may also consider related educational benefits. In considering other programs, you should determine where you want to end up after graduation. Most MBA applicants settle in the given region/city of their selected programs.

In regards to your profile, I would be concerned about your academic record. You may need to write an optional essay, depending on the details of your course performances (e.g. "C" or less in quantitative courses). It looks like you have high hopes for the GMAT-good luck! I high score would certainly strengthen your candidacy.

While many MBA applicants come from an engineering background, you would stand out in the admissions pool for your marketing focus. Direct client interaction is also worth emphasizing, as it will offset the stereotype that engineers lack interpersonal skills and client management experience. What I would like to see in your work experience is a sense of your quantified impact-this will give the adcom a basis for comparison. Founding and running a coaching institute should also help you stand out and the long-term reconnection to it creates a nice thread through your application. The adcom, however, may wonder how you would keep this running during your year in the MBA program. Keep in mind that they will also be looking for your more casual interests and other ways you have been involved in the community.

If you would like to discuss your candidacy or school options further, please contact us for a free consultation: https://www.clearadmit.com/services/free-consultation/
Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.

by mystiquethinker » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:14 am
Eliot wrote:Hello Shantanu,

Thank you for your post!

One thing you will want to consider in choosing a one-year MBA over a two-year MBA program is the lack of a summer internship. These can be immensely beneficial in forging contacts and relationships with your potential post-MBA employers. So, in terms of improving your candidacy, you will need a richer, more detailed plan for your goals; MBA programs will be concerned about post-MBA job placement stats, so the greater sense of security and certainty you can convey, the better.
Also, given that you already have experience in marketing, you will need to hammer out a richer 'why MBA' case; you mention an MBA specialization, but I did not see specific tracks/skills. Given your long-term interest in entrepreneurship, you may also consider related educational benefits. In considering other programs, you should determine where you want to end up after graduation. Most MBA applicants settle in the given region/city of their selected programs.

In regards to your profile, I would be concerned about your academic record. You may need to write an optional essay, depending on the details of your course performances (e.g. "C" or less in quantitative courses). It looks like you have high hopes for the GMAT-good luck! I high score would certainly strengthen your candidacy.

While many MBA applicants come from an engineering background, you would stand out in the admissions pool for your marketing focus. Direct client interaction is also worth emphasizing, as it will offset the stereotype that engineers lack interpersonal skills and client management experience. What I would like to see in your work experience is a sense of your quantified impact-this will give the adcom a basis for comparison. Founding and running a coaching institute should also help you stand out and the long-term reconnection to it creates a nice thread through your application. The adcom, however, may wonder how you would keep this running during your year in the MBA program. Keep in mind that they will also be looking for your more casual interests and other ways you have been involved in the community.

If you would like to discuss your candidacy or school options further, please contact us for a free consultation: https://www.clearadmit.com/services/free-consultation/

Thank you Sir for such a detail evaluation.

by mystiquethinker » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:15 am
Eliot wrote:Hello Shantanu,

Thank you for your post!

Thank you Sir for such a detail evaluation.