Profile Evaluation - Low GPA

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation - Low GPA

by benjazz03 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:35 am
Hi - I will be applying to bschool in the next year and am wondering if my low gpa is a deal breaker.

GMAT 710
88th pct V and 78th Q

CAIA charter member
CFA L 2 candidate

2.4ish gpa from a top 50 us school: BS in Economics

7 yrs of work experience for investment banks, but mostly in a middle office capacity.

extacurriculars:
Member of a number of real estate groups orgs and some finance orgs: NYSSA, etc... Volunteer at NYCares.

I'm interested in schools abroad: Insead, HEC Paris, Cambridge, Oxford, IESE, IE...

Does my gpa kill my chances? Should I retake the GMAT? I'm certain i can bump up to 730, but I'm not sure if 20pts will add much to my profile.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:28 members

by Heidi Granner » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:04 pm
Hi benjazz03,

Thanks for your post.

The best way to offset a below average GPA is to enroll in a couple part-time business courses and get A's in order to show to the adcom that you are committed to doing well in an academic setting. Your GMAT score will demonstrate your abilities, so it is more a matter of demonstrating your determination and focus.

Regarding school selection, you should factor in the impact from a GPA, even with taking part-time courses. In order to mostly offset the GPA, your GMAT should be 40+ points above the average for the school. Extracurricular activities and strong career progression will also be considered in the evaluation.

Good luck!

Best,
Heidi