Profile evaluation for targeted schools || GMAT: 760

Launched January 9, 2010
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi, kindly help in my profile evaluation and advise on areas i should focus on in my applications. Any input will be highly appreciated. Thanks!

GMAT: 760 - Q: 50, V: 42, AWA: 6, IR: 5
Education
Bachelors in Engineering, Mech from BITS-Pilani, India. CGPA: 9.41/10 (~4/4); graduated in 2009
Master of Science, Mechanical Engineering from University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, US; CGPA: 3.7/4; graduated in 2010

Professional Experience
Intel Corp 2011-now
Current position: Senior Process Engineer; Previous: Process Engineer (got first promotion in 2013)

Internships: Schlumberger (Summer'10); GE Global Research (Jan-July'09)

Significant Leadership experiences
#1 chaired a Working Group of 5 engineers across US and Malaysia to develop BGA process for an ATOM (Bay Trail) package, and transfer and ramp the process to high volumes at sister manuf site. WG lasted 3 quarters and was sunsetted after all deliverables were met

#2 chaired a Task Force of 12 engineers across 5 functional groups to conceive, define and develop the sub-set assembly process for a XEON server with package on package architecture. During this process, the team achieved $20m cost savings while implementing industrial leading packaging solutions.

Awards, publications, patents: Within Intel: 3 Division level (2k+ employee pool) Awards, 8 Department level (200+ employee pool) awards, 4 internal technical publications, Best paper award, 3 trade secrets, 1 patent (filing in progress)

Extra curricular (most undergrad): Co-founder of Center for Entrepreneurial Leadership club on campus; organizing committee member of institute's first B-plan competition; Member, Finance team for Cultural fest (handled budget of $10k); part (COO was the fanciful title) of Harvard alum initiated start-up that was taken over by SAAVN

Volunteer activity (a bit sporadic): Mentor in the Survivor of Torture (SOT) program by International Rescue Commission (IRC)

B-school objective
Short term : Consulting (strategy preferable, but want to use my b-school experience to make eventual decision)
Long term: product management

Why MBA - acceleration in career, understand the whole gambit of financial, operational, marketing aspects of product development beyond the technical development, improve/re-fine my leadership skills, and develop a network

Target schools (preference for schools with small class): Stanford, Sloan, Haas, Tuck, HBS, Kellogs (tentative), Ross/Tepper (less aggressive)

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:68 members
GMAT Score:750

by Bryant@VeritasPrep » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:32 am
You have all the "right stuff" for a run at top schools including a solid academic pedigree, a great GMAT score and progressively responsible work experience including promotions and leadership skill demonstration. Of course the key will be in packaging it all in a compelling way which differentiates you from the large application pool from which you are applying. Business schools love engineers, but a lot of engineers apply (particularly from India), so you must ask yourself how you feel you are different from others with a similar profile. This would be a good way to frame your approach. Let us know if we can help.
Bryant Michaels
MBA Admissions Consultant

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Harvard Ivy » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:41 pm
I agree, your GMAT is excellent, you're working at a top company. It's all going to depend upon how well you construct your narrative in your essays, your "story." Schools want to see how you intend to use the MBA as a bridge to get you from where you are to where you want to go. The most important thing to remember is to make this story very logical. Hope that helps!

[I'm a former Harvard interviewer and a Harvard grad, and currently run the MBA admissions firm MBA IVY LEAGUE out of New York]

Jillian
President & Founder

www.MBAIvyLeague.com