Profile Evaluation - Application Process

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation - Application Process

by gmatp011 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:42 pm
Hi All,

Have utilized the site throughout my GMAT test preparation and now that I am applying to part-time and full-time programs have a question regarding admissions.

I sat for the GMAT in January and scored a 650 (39 Quant/ 40 Verbal). Also received a 4.5 on the AWA essay which was a disappointment and an 8 on IR.

I am applying as a URM which I wanted to gauge how much of a difference this makes in the application process if any.

Currently I am applying to Georgetown McDonough School of Business as a part-time student and throwing in an application to Yale SOM as a very big reach.

For Yale, I am talking a lot about my professional experience in the realm of corporate governance in the hopes that since it is an institution that looks for professionals who can contribute holistically to the program and bring a unique perspective.

If anyone could provide their opinion as to the competitiveness of my application to both schools that would be fantastic. Additionally, as mentioned above, is applying as a URM an element that will differentiate my candidacy or is it a factor that is not heavily weighted in the admissions process.

The feedback is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

P

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by Dan@VinciaPrep » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:57 am
Hi P,
Schools care about many things, but two at the top of the list are your uniqueness and whether you will fit with the culture of the school. Being a URM could therefore help you in the uniqueness category.

However, in the end what really matters is how you sell yourself. Do you have a coherent story on what you want to do after your MBA that makes sense when considering your past. Can you show why your personality matches Yale's culture and how you're going to fit in with other students?

Another really important idea is that how you say something is often just as important as what you say. Have you written essays that come to life? I've had a number of students who came to me with great backgrounds and stories, but who didn't know how to really bring their best aspects to the front.

In sum, your competitiveness is going to depend a lot of how well you write your essays. As far as the AWA and IR score, I wouldn't worry about those. Some schools have come out and directly stated that they don't care about the IR section at the moment. Your GMAT score is below the average for Yale, but good essays and life experiences can often make up for a slightly below average GMAT score. I've had several students get into top schools (Columbia, Stern, INSEAD, etc...) who only had around 650 on the GMAT.
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

I'm a private tutor in Paris, I provide online and in person consulting for the GMAT and MBA application essays.
GMAT tutor paris
Prepa GMAT