Profile Evaluation and Reality Check

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation and Reality Check

by LongShotBen » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:12 am
First off, I really appreciate you all taking the time to read this and help me out a bit.

TL:DR - I'm interested in going for broke here trying to get into a top 15 MBA program. I'm a long shot due to my past. I'd like to know if you all think I'm a lost cause. I'm planning on applying in 2015

Stats:
33 y/o (at time of application in 2015) Caucasian, American, unmarried male

At time of application I will have approx 132 months of work experience.

GPA: 4.0 from ASU (BS Technology Management & Entrepreneurship) (currently finishing school but I will maintain a 4.0)

Average GPA: 3.4 (my first "year" of school when I was 17 was less than stellar as my heart truly wasn't in it"

GMAT: Sitting for this in 2014 and I will get a good score (I know that doesn't mean anything until I take it but I will kill myself studying for it to help me reach my goals, I'm obviously shooting for a 700+)

Currently work as: A brokerage trader in a fortune 200 retail firm.
Professional Designations I've earned or will have by then: (done all of these in 2 years while being full time in school and working full time); 7, 63, 65, AAMS, CFP, CLU, Six Sigma Green Belt, Professional Certification in Sustainability

Quick stuff about me: (I know there's a lot but I feel my unique story is my best asset)
I'm the first person in three generations to go to college. I've been working full time since I was 15 years old. I was a "latch key" kid to a single mother and started taking care of myself (my own meals, laundry) in the fourth grade. I lived through a lot of physical and mental abuse as a child. My mother passed of cancer when I was 14. This was after a two year bought were I took care of her through the sickness. After she passed I was emancipated as a minor and couch surfed with friend's families to finish high school. Needless to say, I didn't really care much about school when I was younger. I was a voracious reader and enjoyed learning quickly about things until I felt proficient and then moved on. 16 week college courses were not a good fit for me and I would withdraw out of boredom which crushed my GPA. Since I've been back in school I have never gotten less than an A and actually carry higher than a 4.0 currently in my internal ASU GPA.

I've also been a touring folk musician and I've been show in modern art galleries on the east coast for my photography and sculptural installations.

For the last 10 years I've worked for the same company and have worked in every type of retail finance. I was a licensed P&C Insurance agent, sold loans, mortgages and credit cards and then got my series licenses and became a broker. I've been promoted multiple times over the years even though I only had a high school diploma.

I really want to go to a dual program like the MMM or LGO through Kellogg or MIT. I want to help make an impact on the planet and am very interested in the application of sustainability to industrial design and also planned housing and prefab.

And yes, I only sleep about 4.5 to 5 hours a night on average. It's the only way to maintain this level of work. I'm killing myself for this because I want to make a difference. I really want this brand behind my name to get my foot in the door. I told myself as a child that I would put everything I've been through to a purpose some day.

Any advice if these two schools or any other top 10-15 MBA are out of reach for me? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by LongShotBen » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:46 am
Bump to beg for any advice.

I know I'm not traditional in any sense of the word but I'm hoping my unique story mixed with all my recent hard work will give me a chance.

Thanks again for considering reading this and commenting.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by ronaldo7 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:37 am
Hi, I recommend that you try this online chances calculator to get some general indication and see if you have a chance. You can also post your question in the "ask admission consultants" forum.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by bremkofi » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:33 am
Longshot,

To begin with, you sound serious about doing an MBA at a good school. It's a big challenge to get in to one of these schools but you are obviously not easily discouraged. You have shown determination and resiliency through difficult times.
Your work experience sounds like its given you a basic education in finance and your outside interests are cultured and varied. You are good material for an MBA but you have a long way to go. If your GMAT score is good (700+) that will be a strong beginning and an impetus to continue. Do your research on how to put together a great application - you have the basics - and once you have your GMAT and a preliminary application you can check out your chances and get a better idea of where you stand. Then you can start to really work at it. Best of luck to you. Onward and upward.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:10 members

by Sophia007 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:17 am
Hello Longshot - Sun devil! I can help you. If you'd like to talk, please email me directly so we can schedule a call. It would be faster for me to just speak with you than draft a long email as your case if very different.
Sophia Pathak| Admissions Consultant |

If my post was helpful, let me know by pushing the thanks button.:) Please free to directly email me at [email protected]. ANY questions are welcome! check out what others have to say about their experience with me https://mymbamentor.com/?page_id=31