Profile Eval- MS in Accounting

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Eval- MS in Accounting

by musicious » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:28 pm
Hi, I realize this is an MBA forum but I'm hoping someone can help me in choosing graduate Accounting schools. Here's my projected info when I graduate in December:

BS in Accounting -University of Kansas
Overall GPA: 3.16
Professional(business courses) GPA: 3.87
Accounting GPA: 3.96
GMAT: 710 (Q47 V40 AWA 5)

My overall GPA is lower because I majored in Computer Engineering and Music Performance my first 2 years and struggled. Do you think it will hurt even though I have straight As the past 2.5 years?

I tried to get an accounting internship twice to no avail. The only job I had was office work with a temp agency one summer. My only extra-curricular activity is playing tuba/piano in the Wind Ensemble. However, since I'm applying for Accounting instead of an MBA I'm hoping experience isn't as much of a factor.

I only studied a few weeks for the GMAT and I'm positive I could get 740-60, but with only a couple months till application deadlines I don't think I have time to retake it. I realize a 710 isn't competitive at MBA programs, but It seems like the average GMAT for accounting applicants is lower so perhaps it could make up for my low GPA?

I'm from Illinois and my first choice is University of Illinois-Champaign Urbana with my safety school as Northern Illinois. Both are ranked in the Public Accounting Report Top25 Accounting Graduate programs.

I thought about Depaul and the University of Illinois at Chicago because their GMAT averages are higher than Northern, but they aren't ranked for Masters of Accountancy even though they have a good MBA program.

Other top 15 ranked programs I am considering are Texas, Southern California, Notre Dame, Texas A&M, North Carolina, Indiana, Michigan State, Florida, Ohio State, Georgia, and Wisconsin. I will apply to 3-5 of those.

Can anyone give me any advice on my options? I have worked very hard in Accounting and did OK on the GMAT but I'm afraid my Engineering failures may hurt my chances at the top schools.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:43 pm
Dear musicious,

As you said, admissions for MS programs is quite different from MBA. I think you will present a strong profile for MS programs and encourage you to apply to the programs that you feel are the best match. It might be a slight negative you did not intern at a public accounting firm, but I'm not convinced that it is that much of a negative.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by musicious » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:00 pm
Thanks for the reply! I tried getting an internship for last summer and this coming spring but even with a strong business GPA only 1 out of 15 employers called me for an interview and I wasn't hired. As a result I have to rely on professors for letters of recommendation.

If I retake the GMAT and score above 750 do you think that would make much of a difference over the 710 I have now?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:39 am
I don't think it will make a big difference on the decision if you increase your GMAT. 710 is a great score. Better to use that $250 on application fees. :)

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me