Profile build up for Top MBA colleges in US

Ask your questions about Kaplan products/services here
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile build up for Top MBA colleges in US

by mba.uj » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:50 pm
I am a 20 yr old Indian.
In the final yr of my graduation in Business Management from a top grad colg of India.
I hv very good academic performance in school and average in colg.
Average extra-curricular.
I am targeting a GMAT score of above 720 which I believe is well within my scope of aptitude.
1 drawback I have heard is that I hv 15 yrs of education provided in India as opposed to the requisite 16 yrs demanded by American Institutes. How far is this statement true? How can I take a recourse against this sitation?

My main question is - What route should I take from here on to build up an formidable profile in the next 3-4 yrs for Colleges of the reputation of HBS, Wharton, Stanford and Kellogg?

Also as my grad is ending soon, i hv 2 options in front of me - shud i join some consultancy, or start up a venture on my own? What would count more in ur view?

Thanks a lot in advance. Smile

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:2 members

by Jen Kedro » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:46 pm
Hi,

I'm not sure whether you are quite asking in the right place, as this Ask Kaplan board is really for questions on GMAT prep, but briefly, I would suggest that you ensure your GMAT preparation is strong and you score well, and then focus on your career for several years, as mentioned....most MBA applicants to these top programs do have 3-5 years of work experiences. Exactly WHAT you do is a bit less important than the quality of your work experiences, and what you learn from it....b-schools do want a diverse group of students, so it's not necessarily that consulting vs your own company will automatically make a difference. But during your work experience, focus on people and project management skills, and develop strong relationships and networks for mentors and future recommenders.

Cheers!
Jen Kedrowski
Kaplan Test Prep & Admissions
GMAT Teacher
MBA Admissions Consultant
National Product Team Member