prep question

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

prep question

by jc114 » Tue May 22, 2007 2:03 pm
. Rita: The original purpose of government farm subsidy programs was to provide income stability for small family farmers. But most farm-subsidy money goes to a few farmers with large holdings Payments to farmers whose income, before subsidies, is greater than $100,000 a year should be stopped.

Thomas: It would be impossible to administer such a cutoff point. Subsidies are needed during the planting and growing season, but farmers do not know their income for given calendar year until tax returns are calculated and submitted the following April.

Which one of the following, if true, is the strongest counter Rita can make to Thomas objection?

(A) It has become difficult for small farmers to obtain bank loans to be repaid later by money from subsidies.

(B) Having such a cutoff point would cause some farmers whose income would otherwise exceed $100,000 to reduce their plantings.

(C) The income of a farmer varies because weather and market prices are not stable from year to year.

(D) If subsidy payments to large farmers were eliminated the financial condition of the government would improve.

(E) Subsidy cutoffs can be determined on the basis of income for the preceding year.

I chose E, but then I had thoughts about B

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by Cybermusings » Wed May 23, 2007 1:56 am
Rita argument states that though the Government has targeted it's subsidy programs at small family farmers, the majority of the beneficiaries were farmers with large holdings and substantial income. So she wants payments to such farmers to be suspended
Thomas does not contend with Rita's argument but outlines the challenges in putting Rita's recommendations into effect.

I would go with Choice E.....If subsidy mechanisms could be designed in such a way, that the cutoffs could be determined on the basis of preceding year's income, then that would dilute the value of Thomas's argument...Hence E

Whats the OA?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Re: prep question

by rajesh_ctm » Sat May 26, 2007 1:03 pm
jc114 wrote:.
I chose E, but then I had thoughts about B
If you are in confusion, narrow your choices by sticking to the instructions. What is asked here?
Which one of the following, if true, is the strongest counter Rita can make to Thomas objection?

B is a great point for Rita to argue with Thomas, but this doesn't counter Thomas's objection.
So, stick with E.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by john83.amar » Tue May 03, 2016 2:50 am
I would go for E as well. It seems the best and safest among the rest