Prep GMAT score 260.

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Prep GMAT score 260.

by singalong » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:26 pm
Took the prep GMAT last evening.Didn't take the AWA.Got a score of 260.23 correct in Quant and 29 in Verbal.I am really disappointed.Have been preparing for a month.I know that I was very shaky in basics especialy in Quant.But didn't know that I would do this bad.Was expecting around 400-500.Definitely knew my verbal would be better than quant.
Quant has always been weak.It's been 10 years since I am hitting the books.I dont remember most formulae in teh geometry and coordinates while I dont know how to approach a P&C and probabilty question though I know the formulae(I know there are hardly 2-3 of them here).

I need to build a solid foundation here if I have to proceed.What do you suggest?I am not afraid to say that I ahve an aversion towards math.Need to get over that.Should I solve questionsSolving questions topicwise of less difficulty seems the plausible approach.All suggestions welcomed:)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:52 members
GMAT Score:760

by rishi raj » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:21 am
I wonder how did you get 260 after getting 23 correct on Quant and 29 correct on Verbal .No way you can get this score if you get these many questions right. In the worst case,even if you'd have got the initial 14 questions wrong on Quant and the initial 12 questions wrong on Verbal, I think that you shouldn't get a 260. You'll usually get a score of 260 when you have gotten only 6-10 questions correct on each of the two sections ,which doesn't seem to be the case here. Regarding Maths, go through MGMAT Quant strategy guides or Veritas Quant books. Improve your quant concepts first and then focus on practice.

by singalong » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:23 am
Hi Rishi,Thanks for repplying to my post.

My mistake about the scores.I got 23 incorrect in quant and 29 incorrect in Verbal.So that makes it Q14, V12.

Sort of blocked out in quant.Forgot most rules and formulae.Couldn't apply any strategy.Was taken a back by the first few questions.I knew my foundation was shaky and planned to go work through through the recommended books.But never really thought I would do this bad.Plus, pacing was a major problem.Took too much time for some questions and when I realized I had put too much time, I guessed hastily.

by singalong » Sun May 08, 2011 1:52 am
Took the second prep test.Quite disappointed.Got a 350.
Q23-V16 compared to the earlier Q16-V12.Quant was relatively easier.But I screwed up my pacing in Verbal.Took longer time to get adjusted to RC and freaked out midway.Pacing is secondary now.
Break of 1 month from quant has damaged my understanding of concepts.
I ahve done the MGMAT series for quant.Seems like I need to do it again.But I think I need to switch to Kaplan.Not that MGMAT is not good.It was excellent.But covering Kaplan math book could give me a different outlook all together.

Followed by:7 members
GMAT Score:750

by havok » Wed May 11, 2011 7:03 pm
You may want to look into getting a tutor - it will be cheaper than a professional course and you can pay a college student $10-15/hr to go through the topics with you.
Class of 2016 - Business School Candidate

Click here to see how I Beat The GMAT!

by singalong » Sun May 22, 2011 5:43 am
Why do you think I should get a tutor?U think personalized sessions would help?

Neways.. I tool the test again and got a 460.It's low but an improvement over the last score.Right now I am analyzing my mistakes and preparing for foundations at the same time.
what do u guys think?

Followed by:7 members
GMAT Score:750

by havok » Sun May 22, 2011 8:13 am
Right, a tutor helps you hone in on the weak-points of your GMAT abilities. They can definitely help - as long as you are able to help guide them toward said weak-points.

That improvement is good. The next step is to go through each question to see which sections you need the most work on, and to focus on those.
Class of 2016 - Business School Candidate

Click here to see how I Beat The GMAT!

by singalong » Mon May 23, 2011 8:59 am
Havoc... thanks for replying.I am just not comfortable with a tutor.I think I need a lot of practice which I am working on.Moreover the logistics just dont help to accommodate a tutor.
About the weak points, yes, I am trying to understand them in each and every question.
I recorded all the questions I faced in the prep test and have been trying to understand where I went wrong.I am practicing RC during lunch time at office.And go over SC tips regularly, so I am making good progress.I just finished the Manhattan Quant books.But still not comfortable with a few areas.Wou;d be solving those questions mostly again with more depth.

by singalong » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:21 am
Scored 350, 460 and then 420 in GMAT preps.Progress is very slow even after 3 months.:(