pr ds

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

pr ds

by RAGS » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:14 am
Seventy percent of the 30,000 trees in an orchard are apple trees, and the rest are pear trees. What percent of the trees in the orchard were planted this year?

(1) The number of apple trees that were planted prior to this year is 14 times the number of pear trees that were planted this year.
(2) The number of pear trees planted prior to this year is 8 times the number of pear trees that were planted this year.

I thing the ans is E
Kindly coment on the ans...........

PR gives the foll sol
From the question itself, you can calculate the number of apple trees and the number of pear trees . Statement 1alone tells you nothing, since you don't know how many apple or pear trees were planted this year, so you should write down BCE. Statement 2 gives you enough information to calculate the number of pear trees planted this year (you can make a ratio box, or just calculate ), but no information about the apple trees, so you should eliminate B. If you look at the two statements together, you know that 1,000 pear trees were planted this year, and apple trees were planted prior to this year, so apple trees were planted this year. So, of the trees were planted this year. Don't bother to turn this number into a percent: since you know you could. The answer is C
If It Is To Be It Is Up To Me

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by f2001290 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:08 am
Let "x" be the no. of pines grown this year.
Let "y" be the no. of Apples grown this year.

1. Insufficient
2. Insufficent - But we can find "x" from B

From the table we can calculate (x+y)/30000, which is the required answer. Hence C
Attachments
Venn.JPG

by drhomler » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:53 am
This question seems poorly worded to me. In statement 2) it tells us that 8x as many pear trees were planted this year compared to the prior year. From the original we know there are 9000 pear trees. What if there were 8 trees planted last year and 64 this year and there were 8,928 pear trees in the ground two years ago. I feel like an assumption is being made here that isnt clearly articulated in the question. Am I reading too much into this or does anyone else see that?

by drhomler » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:13 pm
I inverted the 8x between the two years, but my point is still the same. If the question said all the trees were planted in the last two years than I could see solving the question. I am very curious about this one. Thanks o anyone who can shed some light.

Community Manager

by jayhawk2001 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:41 pm
drhomler wrote:This question seems poorly worded to me. In statement 2) it tells us that 8x as many pear trees were planted this year compared to the prior year. From the original we know there are 9000 pear trees. What if there were 8 trees planted last year and 64 this year and there were 8,928 pear trees in the ground two years ago. I feel like an assumption is being made here that isnt clearly articulated in the question. Am I reading too much into this or does anyone else see that?
Agree with drhomler here.

Just as the question mentions "some are apple trees, the rest are
pear trees", it should mention "some trees were planted this year, the
rest were planted the prior year".