PR-4: Q - 17

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

PR-4: Q - 17

by camitava » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:30 pm
Guys, one more Qs to go -

Of the 9000 people who voted in a recent election, how many women voted for candidate X?
1. The percentage of women voting for candidate X was twice the percentage of women voting against candidate X.
2. Three thousand men voted for candidate X.

What do you think the answer will be and why?
Correct me If I am wrong

Regards,

Amitava

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by atlantic » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:22 am
Hi camitava,

Lets see.....

Statement: 9000 men and women voted, of these some voted for X and some did not voted for X.

(1) %WX=2%WnX, it doesn't give enough information to solve the problem, INSUFF.

(2) 3000 men voted for X, without further information, alone (2) is INSUFF

(1+2) 3000 men + unknown number of women voted for X. From the statement we know that 9000 people, of those some men did voted for X (3000 as stated in 2) and some men did not voted for X; some women voted for X and some women did not voted for X.

Let M be for men who voted for X; nM for men who did not vote for X; W for women who voted for X and nW for women who did not voted for X

9000=M+nM+W+nW
9000=3000+nM+W+nW

From (1) we know that %WX=2%WnX

But again we don't have enough information. I would answer E.

Legendary Member

by camitava » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:06 am
atlantic wrote:Hi camitava,

Lets see.....

Statement: 9000 men and women voted, of these some voted for X and some did not voted for X.

(1) %WX=2%WnX, it doesn't give enough information to solve the problem, INSUFF.

(2) 3000 men voted for X, without further information, alone (2) is INSUFF

(1+2) 3000 men + unknown number of women voted for X. From the statement we know that 9000 people, of those some men did voted for X (3000 as stated in 2) and some men did not voted for X; some women voted for X and some women did not voted for X.

Let M be for men who voted for X; nM for men who did not vote for X; W for women who voted for X and nW for women who did not voted for X

9000=M+nM+W+nW
9000=3000+nM+W+nW

From (1) we know that %WX=2%WnX

But again we don't have enough information. I would answer E.
Atlantic, nice approach! But if I go forward with this approach -
Men (M) + Women (W) = 9000.
According to stmt-2, M = 3000 so W = 6000
According to Stmt-1, % of Women voted for X = WX * 100/6000
Women voted not for X = WNX * 100/6000
Now WX * 100/6000 = WNX * 100/6000
So WX = 2 WNX
Again WX + WNX = 6000 So we can get the value of WX and hence WNX.
So We can go ahead with option C. But the OA is E. Why so? Any reason?
Correct me If I am wrong

Regards,

Amitava

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:580

by codesnooker » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:51 am
camitava wrote: According to stmt-2, M = 3000 so W = 6000
Haha Camitava, you are thinking too hard. Take some rest and have a nice sleep before continuing further for GMAT preparation. Anyway that's your choice. It is just a suggestion from my side.

So here is your answer:-

Read the statement (2) again. Three thousand men voted for candidate X.

3000 Men voted for candidate X but it never mentioned that there is no man voted against him. So it doesn't mean that there are only 3000 men in the group. There may be more than 3000. Hence we don't know the total number of Men in the group. Hence we can't conclude the total number of women in the group.

I hope now your doubt is clear. :D

Let me know if more clarity is required.

Lesson: DS is not CR. So, don't assume any information. Stick to the provided statistics.

Legendary Member

by camitava » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:07 am
Ohhh! Sh..! I misunderstood stmt-2. I assumed the number of men was the number of men actually voted. Sorry for the confusion... Anyway thanks for the help, codesnooker! Really I think I need little nap before proceeding for any furhter practice. Ha ha ha ... :wink:
Correct me If I am wrong

Regards,

Amitava

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by atlantic » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:03 am
Don't worry camitava.

That's a typical mistake from a lot of people here, including myself. At the beginning I thought that it was because I'm not english native, but later I realised that it's only because I don't pay many attention to what I read, when I reading quant. questions.

After some training I started to read the Q more carefully.

I guess that this is one of the competences tested by GMAT.

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:580

by codesnooker » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:38 am
Yeah Camitiva, Atlantic is right about the point. I am okay or may be good with Quant but I am also struggling with Verbal for the moment. Short sentences, passages are okay but when they get bigger, it's so easy to get confused or lost focus. And then they look to me like "LETTERS ARE DANCING".

All that we need more focus and definitely we can hit the bull's eye. So for the moment, before starting verbal questions in any session, I used to solve at least 10 Quant questions and then jump to Verbal questions. You can imagine that these quant question help me to gain focus and I scored more than usual in the verbal then.

Since quant is my strong part, similarly you can try yours, may be this approach also work for you.

Best of Luck

Legendary Member

by camitava » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:25 am
Thanx for ur suggestion, Codesnooker and atlantic! Yop! Thats true - sometimes ur eyes fail to catch little little points of the Qs which create the problem later ...
By the way, ur statement - "LETTERS ARE DANCING" remembers me a nice Hindi movie named "Taare Zameen Par". Ha ha ha ...
Correct me If I am wrong

Regards,

Amitava