Please Suggest some schools.

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Please Suggest some schools.

by kushagra452 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:31 pm
My profile:

UG: Engineering (B.E) (First Class with distinction)
Total Work Ex: 3.5 years (till today) (2.5 years in IT Consulting and 1 year in Business development in Water and Power Sector for a public company)
Diploma in Economics from London School of Economics (Distinction in two subjects)
GRE: 1550
Toefl: 118

I have not given the gmat yet, but plan to give it by mid October. With the GRE I do not have too many options. The schools that I have in mind are:

1. Texas - McCombs
2. Texas A&M - Mays
3. Rochester - Simon
4. Carnegie - Tepper
5. Georgetown - McDonough
6. Emory
7. Toronto - Rotman
8. Iowa - Tippie

This list not finalized yet. I do plan to add some Ivy League schools (I got admission to the M.S programs in Electrical engineering at Cornell, Columbia, Dartmouth, Princeton, Penn State, Georgia Tech in 2009, but decided to join LSE for the economics program.)

Any suggestion guys?

Thanks

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:31 members
GMAT Score:620

by Kaneisha Grayson » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:59 pm
I really like your list of schools. When picking your Ivies to add, why don't you try using the super-fun rankings that Princeton Review makes? Here's a link: https://www.princetonreview.com/business ... kings.aspx

Enjoy!
Harvard Business School MBA 2010, Harvard Kennedy School MPA 2010
Founder, The Art of Applying
Admissions Consulting for MBA, MPP, Joint Degrees, and Fellowships
https://theartofapplying.com

Want free advice that actually works? Sign up for my weekly MBA, MPP, and JD newsletter here: https://theartofapplying.com/newsletter/

My clients have earned over $3.1 million in fellowships from Harvard and other top MBA, MPP, and JD programs since 2010.

by kushagra452 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:00 pm
Thanks for the link Kaniesha!

Columbia and Cornell are two Ivy league schools that I will be targeting ( though I wish Brown had a full time MBA program!).

I will miss out on the Columbia ED deadline because I have still not given the GMAT, but I do hope to get the application in time for R1.

Cheers!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by The Duke » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:04 pm
kushagra452,

Odd question but why is Rotman on your list? What I mean is why did Rotman appeal to you whereas all the others are in the States. I'm just wondering! Thanks!

Followed by:42 members
GMAT Score:740

by Jessica@VeritasPrep » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:43 pm
It is an interesting list of schools - are you drawn to something similar in the programs that you listed? If I know what you are looking for, I'd have a better idea of what to suggest! And, it is fine to apply to a school in the second round. If you do well on your GMAT and love Columbia, you may still want to apply in a later round.

I took my GMAT in February and applied to three schools in R3 (admitted to two and waitlisted at one). So I know first hand that there are spots open in later rounds!!
Jessica
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

by kushagra452 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:33 pm
The Duke wrote:kushagra452,

Odd question but why is Rotman on your list? What I mean is why did Rotman appeal to you whereas all the others are in the States. I'm just wondering! Thanks!
Hey

I know that Rotman is the "odd-man out". I decided to apply to Rotman after sitting in one of the "mock-classes" that a professor conducted on the MBA tour. I liked the session and was impressed by the faculty. Moreover, Rotman is strong in finance and I do have an inclination towards finance. Another reason for choosing Rotman is that I have lived in Toronto and Hamilton for 3 years. I was an elementary school student and absolutely loved the experience!

Cheers!
Kushagra452

by kushagra452 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:45 pm
Jessica@VeritasPrep wrote:It is an interesting list of schools - are you drawn to something similar in the programs that you listed? If I know what you are looking for, I'd have a better idea of what to suggest! And, it is fine to apply to a school in the second round. If you do well on your GMAT and love Columbia, you may still want to apply in a later round.

I took my GMAT in February and applied to three schools in R3 (admitted to two and waitlisted at one). So I know first hand that there are spots open in later rounds!!
Hi Jessica

I plan to give the GMAT by mid October so that I can get my application in time for R1 (or at some schools R2). The schools on the list have been drawn mostly after I spoke to students (friends who are studying there or have graduated). Its always good to know the "real deal", which is hard to gauge by merely looking at websites of most schools. I got really good feedback for all of these schools. I also wanted to hedge my bets by not only going for the "usual suspects" (H/S/W/K). I am still trying to know more about each of these schools so that I can be confident of getting the "right fit". I am also open to the idea of going in for a PhD after a MBA. Therefore I am also looking closely at the courses on offer, the teaching methodology and areas of active research at the schools.

Thank you for you reply.

Cheers!
Kushagra452