please let me know your answers with proper explanations

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by hrishi19884 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:59 pm
bhumika.k.shah wrote:# 2 .) Hey why is the pronoun they wrong in option A ??

Why cant u use they for non profit group ???

IMO D is wrong because there is a semi colon - the two parts of a sentence are not independent - which should be when semi-colons are used .

E is wrong for the reason cited by osirus!

I find A wordier - correct me if i am wrong.

How is C the correct option ??? it estimates this year 73 % will be ?? isnt it not structured correctly ??

this sentence is too confusing..

2. According to Interstudy, a nonprofit organization that studies health maintenance organizations (HMO's), they estimate that, in comparison to last year, when only 36 percent of the nation's 607 HMO's was profitable, this year 73 percent will be.

(A) they estimate that, in comparison to last year, when only 36 percent of the nation's 607 HMO's was profitable, this year 73 percent will be

(B) compared to only 36 percent of the nation's 607 HMO's being profitable last year, they estimate 73 percent would be this year

(C) only 36 percent of the nation's 607 HMO's were profitable last year; it estimates that this year 73 percent will be

(D) it estimates 73 percent of the nation's 607 HMO's would be profitable this year; last year that was only 36 percent

(E) only 36 percent of the nation's 607 HMO's last year were profitable, whereas they estimate it this year to be 73 percent
osirus0830 wrote:For #2 I would choose C

A- "they" is the wrong pronoun

B- "being profitable" is wrong

C- Correct

D- "last year that was only" is ambigious and awkward

E- "whereas they estimate it" is wrong. "they" can't refer to the non profit group.

We are dealing here with "Interstudy" and not "nonprofit organization"

What is interstudy? a nonprofit organization that studies health maintenance organizations (HMO's),(comma)

so anything that comes after comma should indicate about the "interstudy"......we can't use "they" or "it" here as those are redundant(and as we already have used interstudy earlier)

Coming to C, there is a "semicolon" placed between the two lines...so we don't have any conjunction here..that's why we can easily use future tense (will be) in the second line after semicolon.

Another thing, if I remove the object from the sentence (a nonprofit organization that studies health maintenance organizations)

The sentence will read as -- According to Interstudy, only 36 percent of the nation's 607 HMOs were profitable last year; it estimates that this year 73 percent will be.

Also, "it" correctly indicates "interstudy"

Hence, the sentence is correct grammatically.
Hrishi

"As you sow, so shall you reap"

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by ymach3 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:41 am
Is 'modeled like' a correct idiom to use...

should'nt it be 'modeled after'- which is available only in A.