PLEASE HELP. NEED SERIOUS ADVICE

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

PLEASE HELP. NEED SERIOUS ADVICE

by ADunn3 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:15 pm
Thanks for clicking on my post guys.

I just took my first official attempt at the gmat. Obviously I wouldn't be saying I need help if I did well.

My first practice test I ever took, I got a 530. I said okay and truly committed to the GMAT. I chose to be sober for 3 months and I stayed home and barely went out and studied, literally, every single day. About a month and a half in I took my next practice test, I got a 530. Very disheartened I said okay and I went through the assessment report and worked on where I was weakest at, maybe only where I was weakest at in the assessment report.

It has been 3 months today of sobriety and studying everyday. I took my official first attempt and guess what the hell I got??? A 530........

I have never felt this dumb in my entire life, nor have I dedicated myself to something of this magnitude (at least academically) either.

Is there any hope for me to score a 680 what so ever? Mind you I took the full course of Manhattan GMAT and completed their entire 9 week plan.

Honestly, what should I do? What would you do at this point? I'm never one to give up but damn ZERO improvement?

Sorry for my rant but I need to know if this has happened to anyone else and if they were in fact able to get the score they needed. Any insight from experience or recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.
Alex

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:50 pm
Hi Alex,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go better for you. From what you've described, it sounds as though you continue to treat the GMAT in the same general ways as you did when you started your studies (meaning that even though you have learned content/tactics/etc., you continue to 'respond' to the Test in the same way). To raise this 530 to a 680+, you're going to have to change the 'default' ways in which you deal with the Exam. Considering your score goal, I suspect that you would need another 3 months of consistent, guided study to get to that level (but that does not mean that you have to be sober throughout that process nor does it mean that you have to 'give up' being social).

1) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?
2) What were your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on the Official GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
4) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by ADunn3 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:42 am
Rich,

I sincerely thank you for your response and willingness to give me advice. Here are the answers to your questions below:

1. CAT Exam 1 total score 530 - Verbal 22 Quant 41
CAT Exam 2 total score 530 - Verbal 31 Quant 32

2. Official Exam total scare 530 - Verbal 31 Quant 32

I spent way more time studying Quant before my exam and I have always been more of a quantitative person than someone who's into reading and writing (I realize the numbers say otherwise, which is why this is so bizzare to me)

3. I want to apply this fall for round 1

4. I will be applying to part time programs for both UCLA and UC Berkeley (Need a solid 670 to be competitive for those programs) My cumulative GPA is a 3.4 and have a very diverse work experience background (military and many branches of finance)

Thanks for the help Rich.