please help -- need help on how to improve my math score!

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi -

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve on math? While taking practice tests I seem to freeze up and almost forget how to do math and it's hard for me to decipher what the question is even asking sometimes. When I review the test, I have one of those "duh" moments and know how to solve the problem instantly. How do I learn to read the questions properly and know what steps to take to get to the solution the fastest. (i'm hoping to take the test in three weeks... i've been scoring mid 600s on kaplan tests, high 600s-low 700s on manhattan gmat tests... scoring 80% percentile in verbal but in the 60s for quant when math has always been my strong suit!) please help!!
Thanks,
Maggie

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by NextGreatLeader » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:10 pm
Have you used the MGMAT test analysis tool? Quant is my weakest area, but I've found MGMAT's reports to be very helpful in pinpointing my specific areas in need of improvement and in analyzing my time management issues.

by maggie135 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:35 pm
Thank you for your response! I have used those test recaps to help direct my focus while I'm studying so I think they are helping. I think my issue is more on how to attack a problem I haven't seen (or seen anything similar to) throughout my practice. (Maybe that wasn't clear in my previous post.) I'm open to any suggestions!

Thanks again!

Maggie

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:21 am
When studying the math, you should stay with one concept at a time, until you have examined that concept from every conceivable angle.

So, for example, once you have studied the basic concepts related to exponents, examine every OG13 exponent question, plus any other exponent questions you can find (there are other official resources, plus no shortage of questions on this site). Take your time with this, and always review the solutions until they make sense. This is, by far, the best way to master the math content.

There are resources out there that have categorized the OG13 questions as well as the Quant-only OG. For example, BTG's 60-day Study Guide does this (https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/gmat-guide), and the OG13 Improvement Chart also categorizes OG13 questions (https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/gmat-error-log)

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by maggie135 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:27 am
Thanks, Brent!

I just took another practice test - I tried to focus on my breathing a bit more and on really analyzing the questions before diving in, and I think it helped. (It's hard to go slow when you know you're being timed, but I'm working on it. I realize that slowing down in the beginning actually helps me move through the problems quicker with less errors.)

Reviewing my tests, I also see that I make a bunch of careless mistakes across all areas of quant. I seem to occasionally miss "a bone" that the testmakers throw or on data sufficiency miss testing that one more number that would have gotten me the right answer. So, I'm working on reviewing the concepts (I have all of the MGMAT books and Kaplan books), reviewing my right and wrong answers on past tests, and also working on my patience!!! (BIG THINGS! haha)

Hoping to take this test in no more than a few weeks and breaking a 700! FINGERS (AND TOES)CROSSED!

Best,
Maggie

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:00 am
Slower is faster on this exam. Good luck.
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review