Please help me evaluate my non-traditional profile

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,

I have a relatively non-traditional background and I was hoping that you could take the time to help evaluate my profile.

I started my career in the mortgage business (front-office position with a small company) for 3.5 years, while I simultaneously attended (part-time) a third-tier state college. I graduated with a business degree (3.96 GPA) in December of 06; around the same time I went to work for a small real estate developer as an analyst.

I'm happy with my job, but I want more. Moving forward, I want to focus my career in the management of commercial real estate. I want to build on my existing skill set and eventually move into the upper echelons of a mid or large-sized firm. I feel that attending a MBA program with a focus in real estate management in the proper route to achieve this goal. Since very few schools offer a Real Estate concentration, my target school is NYU/Stern. (I feel that many other schools with similar programs, such as columbia and sloan, are out of my league)

I recently took the GMAT and (disappointingly) scored a 640. Do you think it's worth retaking the test? -- I feel that I could increase my score by, at most, 40-50 points.

What do you think my chances are of getting into NYU? Will a huge mark go against me because I graduated from a 3rd tier school? Do you think it's worth pursuing lower-tiered schools with Real Estate programs, such as Bentley in MA? I've always had the impression, and have been told, that it's not worth attending grad school if you can't get into a top 20 school - what are your thoughts?

Thanks for your help!
dave

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Amy » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:53 pm
Hi Dave,

Your work experience and goals sound very well reasoned. Your grades are excellent. The tier of your undergrad institution is not a huge hurdle for business school - what is far more important is that you were able to do well in the program and learn.

As for your GMAT weakness, I would definitely advise you to take the GMAT again. It's very common to do so, and a 40-50 point increase would be a huge improvement. I think you have many great qualities for a program like NYU, but it certainly would help to demonstrate a higher GMAT score.

As for the question about a top 20 vs a lower ranked program, what is most important is the school that will help you meet your goals. Many people attend a school with a great regional reputation because they plan to stay in their geographical area, for instance. While other students decide to go to a lower ranked part time program because they have to work and need to learn the subject matter or have an MBA credential to advance in their career. I really think it's an individual decision.

Good luck!

Amy
Amy
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by davews » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:23 pm
Thanks for your input Amy. I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my post!
Best,
Dave