PLEASE HELP! GMAT IS IN 3 WEEKS!

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

PLEASE HELP! GMAT IS IN 3 WEEKS!

by Tplee » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:54 am
Hello I'm new to the froum and had a quick question pertaining to the ficus of my study and strategy for the GMAT.

I recently met with my MBA guidance counsleor who told me some things regarding the GMAT and I wanted to verify this with someone who actually knows. She told me:

1.) All I needed to get was a 550 on the gmat in order to be admitted. (this is probably true, its not like im going to harvard)

2.) She told me to only focus on the math and quantitative sections of the GMAT. SHe told me that they don't even consider the essay questions and that the verbal portion of the gmat isn't even that important. Basically she told me if I did well with the math section I would be fine.

So my questions is does any of this sound right. I am new to all of this so I really have no idea but I'm concerned because I can't find any info on the internet that can confirm this and obviously the study book I have doesn't mention this. It makes it seem like the verbal is just as important. Can someone please help because my GMAT exam is on Aug 11th and it would really help me if all I had to do was focus on the math portion.

Thanks in advance.

Thomas

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:08 am
It does not sound right unless you are applying to a really low ranked university.

What exactly are your target schools?
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Tplee » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:51 am
University of Wisconsin Milwaukee. Its by no means a low grade school especially the business school. But its obviously not a prestigious school either.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Toddius » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:30 pm
I disagree with your counselor. The quantitative is more important than the verbal - but the verbal is important. The essays are of minimal importance most places. That being said, you can focus most of your study time on the quantitative. You're not going to move the needle a great deal by studying verbal a lot. Verbal relies more on the learning you've done your entire life. I would definitely get a book on Sentence Correction, at a minimum, and review that. I spent 90% of my time on quantitative prep. I got a 720 on the actual exam - but a solid verbal score was an integral part of the overall score.

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:15 am
A 550 is low for Wisconsin.
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants