Please Evalulate My Profile : Entrepreneur

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Please Evalulate My Profile : Entrepreneur

by surfer123 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:18 pm
Profile:

GPA: 3.1 Overall (3.45 Junior-Senior Year) in Computer Science from Top 30 school
GMAT: 690 49Q 35V
Native English Speaker from US
Plan after MBA: business development for tech startup and then go into venture capital

Extracurricular: Team Captain/Manager for competitive Adult Softball Team(last 2 years), international travel(15+ countries), avid surfer and snowboarder, NAAAP Community Leadership Program(board member)

Work History: For the past 5 years, I have started 3 business and sold 2 of them. My most successful business was an e-commerce/distribution company that had 2+ Million in revenue and employed 20 people. My current venture is a consumer products company that manufactures innovative electronics. I traveled to China intensively to develop and manufacture my product line and I attended several major trade shows to attract buyers. The revenues are currently in the low 6 figures and rising.

Before my entrepreneurial ventures I worked as a software engineer and IT admin for several years.

Recommendations: Great ones from my current largest customer and the sales manager of the China factory

Schools: Kellogg, Columbia, Haas, Stanford, Wharton, Chicago, MIT, INSEAD

what are my chances? thanks!

by surfer123 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:22 am
Any thoughts experts? Thanks!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:27 members

by paulsbodine » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:04 pm
Surfer123,

Very interesting background. Your professional profile is outstanding, your NAAAP leadership helps you, and you have good international exposure. You are aiming quite high, however, so your negatives will hurt you: below-competitive GPA combined with decent but not super-strong GMAT + age. If you could kick the GMAT score up 30+ points (or ideally even more) and perhaps rebuild the GPA to some extent, especially in quant-related subjects then some of the schools you named may become doable, e.g., INSEAD, CBS, Chicago for starters. Stanford seems doubtful to me....

Hope this helps,
Paul Bodine
Author, "Great Applications for Business School," "Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance," "Perfect Phrases for Letters of Recommendation"
https://www.paulsbodine.com/
[email protected]
(858) 869-1959

by surfer123 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:13 am
Thanks Paul!

I notice the 858 area code.. San Diego I presume? My hometown!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:27 members

by paulsbodine » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:33 am
surfer123,

Yes, beautiful San Diego :)

--Paul
Paul Bodine
Author, "Great Applications for Business School," "Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance," "Perfect Phrases for Letters of Recommendation"
https://www.paulsbodine.com/
[email protected]
(858) 869-1959