Please evaluate my profile: Wharton EMBA / Booth EMBA

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,

Here is my background. I would like to know what my admission chances are to Wharton or Booth EMBA.

Designation: Principal Engineer - Oil & Gas

GMAT: 760
GPA (undergrad - B.Tech in Mech): 3.7 from Indian Institute of Technology
GPA (grad): 4.00/4.00 (Top 15 state school in the US for Mechanical Engineering)
GPA (PhD) : 4.00/4.00 (PhD in Mechanical Engineering at Texas A&M)

I have over 7 years of work experience as a Subsea Engineer and my current designation is Principal Engineer where I am involved in managing engineering projects in my department. I have published 4-5 conference and research papers.
My company is willing to sponsor $25k for my EMBA where Wharton and Booth fee is around $160k-$180k

Leadership: Led several projects @ work. Mentored / managed Engineers in each project.

Career Achievement: First, received several appreciation emails from clients upon completion of engineering projects that I led. Second, received several promotions in last 7 years within the same group/same company and my current salary is $15X.XX per annum plus bonus.

Questions:

- Do you think my profile is competitive enough for the schools I've mentioned? I am also wondering on how to build my essay and application for Wharton and Booth and deadlines are in 3 months where I see some time crunch. What is the average time that I should take to prepare essay and application for both of these schools?

- Travelling and time is not a problem. I feel that I am stuck as a Engineering manager and would these MBA programs help me getting into more bigger roles?

It will be great if you could give me a realistic picture of my chances at Wharton and Booth EMBA program. I haven't decided on applying to any other program yet.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by premv on Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Eliot » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:10 pm
Hi premv,

Thank you for your post!

Overall, you have competitive academics for both Wharton and Booth's EMBA programs. However, the adcoms will also be interested in more than these credentials. It's great that it looks like you have some management experience; you need to work on detailing your related leadership and impact. In terms of your impact, you'll want to account for the impact on your firm and quantified results-not client appreciation emails. It's great that you have also achieved several promotions, but keep in mind that you will need to explain the merits and actions that led to this success.

To address one of your questions, yes, EMBA programs are designed to support career advancement. You will, however, need to explain how you anticipate progressing in your career and how the EMBA program would help you do so. For instance, do you intend to stay with your own firm? What role do you want to take on upon graduation? What specific skills do you want to hone?

Three months should be sufficient time to pull your applications together; however, you'll want to secure your recommenders as soon as possible. If you'd like to discuss approaching your applications further, please contact us directly at https://www.clearadmit.com/services/free-consultation/
Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.