No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 0

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Please evaluate my Analyze the Issue essay

by brentrowe » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:13 pm
ESSAY QUESTION:

“The level of a country’s development can be best judged by the well-being of its two most vulnerable social groups—children and senior citizens.”

Explain what you think this quotation means and discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with it. Develop your position with reasons and/or specific examples drawn from history, current events, or your own experience, observations, or reading.

MY RESPONSE:

I agree with the statement that the progress of a country can best be measured by looking at the "well-being" -- e.g., the health and happiness -- of its children and senior citizens. Although many factors should be taken into account, analyzing a country's economy and government supportive structure can be understood very well by studying these two groups. Such analysis would require significant research and data collection, but would result in a good picture of the development of a country.

First, the state of children in a country suggests whether the education system is sufficiently training youth, whether adequate health care is being provided for children, and whether children's parents are being supported well enough not to affect youth too negatively. By looking at government data and administering and studies surveys, such analysis can be effective. However, such analysis should not only look at the average student but also outliers to ensure that an accurate picture of the entire country is formed. If children are surveyed and found to be happy, this implies that the education system is likely working effectively and that their health is generally being taken care of by the country's health care system. Further, if research finds children to be happy and healthy, this likely implies that their parents' have jobs and/or are adequately supported by the government.

Second, the state of the senior citizens in a country suggests whether retired individuals have sufficient savings or goverment support to live and whether adequate health care is being provided for elderly citizens. Further, the state of senior citiznes can be used to suggest whether citizens, who are not considered children or senior citizens, are happy and healthy. Looking at senior citizens, through research and surveys, can help to suggest whether senior citizens have enough savings or are adequately supported by government programs, such as social security. Further, if senior citizens are healthy, this implies that a country's health care system is functioning effectively. And finally, the well-being of senior citizens implies the well-being of working adults.

By rigorously measuring the well-being of children and senior citizens, a country's development can be judged better than other analysis methods, such as simply looking at government statistics such as unemployment or gross domestic product. Although it may be difficult to identify issues such as discrimination through analysis of the well-being of children and senior citizens, such analysis should provide a sufficient measure of the major factors of a country's success, including education, health care, social security, and unemployment.